Saddle pack (bikepacking style) advice for small frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To be honest, I’m not even sure why you answered unless it was to vent about people not adopting the norms that you regards as sensible and robust. But thanks for your input
Yes, it was to vent - guilty as charged! Sorry.
I shall leave you to your explorations ...

EDIT: I'll try to be helpful:
[Youtube link from Mr Dogtrousers] I vaguely know Kajsa through long-distance buddies, mainly as a result of her year record attempt. She does a very good job with those "vlog"-type things - and is a bright cookie generally - so I'm sure it's a good contribution to this area of knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwn
My first instinct is to say let her do the research if she wants such a bag!^_^

What does she expect to be carrying in the bag (with the proviso that the contents may well change with a bit of experience under the belt).
If for example a rain jacket is she aware of how finnicky such equipment is to open in a rush and the importance of clever packing?

Has she considered a handlebar bag (traditional) or the more backpacking style that straps to the handlebars?

I'd imagine a traditional style handlebar bag to be far more useful more of the time than a saddlebag. Phone/keys/purse handy, place for maps, directions or song lyrics^_^.
Easy to remove and attach, not to mention gain access to. I'm sure 8 liter capacity is possible.

Since that isn't answering your question .... I have found the likes of AliExpress to have cheap options to test out a concept before committing the big bucks. Mind you, that may not be possible in these times.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If not panniers, the obvious thing is a saddlebag on a bagman but she has ruled that out too. Can you strap a seatpack onto a bagman? I would expect the length means the turning forces exceed its capacity and it will break, but the only other idea I have is a mini front rack with a bag strapped between it and the handlebars and that is wayyyy uglier, but it sounds like your wife is differently aesthetic so maybe it is an option!

Brandane

Legendary Member
my wife wants to get a bikepacking style saddle pack
Not sure I understand the difference between a saddle BAG and saddle PACK? I have a Carradice traditional style bag and it's good if a little old fashioned looking. I also have a Carradice "Carra-Dry" bag which is more modern looking and fits to a clamp you put on the seat post. It is probably too big for your needs though, at 14 litres. Next size down I have is an Ortlieb saddle pack, despite being the medium size I find it pretty useless for anything more than 1 night away with a bar of soap and a toothbrush in it.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It’s an aesthetics thing, Understands that they are practical but thinks that they are ugly. I quite like them, personally, but I guess we all have different tastes in these things.

They're also not ideal for proper bikepacking i.e. singletrack or worse. Panniers are quite rigid and the constant rattling is likely to lead to early failure of rack, pannier hooks or both. The wobbly saddlebags are good for dissipating energy.

Also, panniers are wide and unsuitable for tight singletracks.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

My first instinct is to say let her do the research if she wants such a bag!^_^

What does she expect to be carrying in the bag (with the proviso that the contents may well change with a bit of experience under the belt).
If for example a rain jacket is she aware of how finnicky such equipment is to open in a rush and the importance of clever packing?

Has she considered a handlebar bag (traditional) or the more backpacking style that straps to the handlebars?

I'd imagine a traditional style handlebar bag to be far more useful more of the time than a saddlebag. Phone/keys/purse handy, place for maps, directions or song lyrics^_^.
Easy to remove and attach, not to mention gain access to. I'm sure 8 liter capacity is possible.

Since that isn't answering your question .... I have found the likes of AliExpress to have cheap options to test out a concept before committing the big bucks. Mind you, that may not be possible in these times.
She’s never really been into cycling, despite decades of trying to get her interested. It took lockdown (and an increasing number of running related injuries) to get her out on the bike regularly. So, although keener than she was, researching cycling products isn’t really her thing - I’m much happier doing it.

She already has a restrap top tube bike for access to immediate needs on the bike, and that works well. I notice that some of the seatpacks have various straps that would allow easy access to things like rain jackets.

For longer tours we’d have to use panniers, but I can’t see this happening in the foreseeable future - a weeks tour (or more) just isn’t appealing to her.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Not sure I understand the difference between a saddle BAG and saddle PACK? I have a Carradice traditional style bag and it's good if a little old fashioned looking. I also have a Carradice "Carra-Dry" bag which is more modern looking and fits to a clamp you put on the seat post. It is probably too big for your needs though, at 14 litres. Next size down I have is an Ortlieb saddle pack, despite being the medium size I find it pretty useless for anything more than 1 night away with a bar of soap and a toothbrush in it.
As far as I can see, seatpacks tend to be longer and saddle bags are usually (certainly beyond 2l size) wider. I’m sure there are practical advantages to both approaches, but in this case the main driver is appearance.

She’s never really been into cycling, despite decades of trying to get her interested. It took lockdown (and an increasing number of running related injuries) to get her out on the bike regularly. So, although keener than she was, researching cycling products isn’t really her thing - I’m much happier doing it.

She already has a restrap top tube bike for access to immediate needs on the bike, and that works well. I notice that some of the seatpacks have various straps that would allow easy access to things like rain jackets.

For longer tours we’d have to use panniers, but I can’t see this happening in the foreseeable future - a weeks tour (or more) just isn’t appealing to her.
I still think making a list of what this will be used to carry is a useful jumping off point.

With the internet the way it is, any search for any thing will have me subjected to a barrage of ads, videos and more. It's fun at the start, beyond annoying after a while. Knowing what I need, then want, then good to have has saved me a whole load of stress!^_^

Goid luck! Methinks you'll need it!^_^

Moodyman

Legendary Member
An interesting observation is the recent trend for bikepackers to have the wobbly seat pack on the back and small panniers on the front.

I presume this is because the normal bikepacking set up of rear bag, triangle frame bag and modern handlebar bag, doesn't provide sufficient space.

The current bikepacking luggage stemmed from long distance races like the TCR where the riders need to be self sufficient, but relatively light and the likes of Instagram and GCN have brought the set up mainstream.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

An interesting observation is the recent trend for bikepackers to have the wobbly seat pack on the back and small panniers on the front.

I presume this is because the normal bikepacking set up of rear bag, triangle frame bag and modern handlebar bag, doesn't provide sufficient space.

The current bikepacking luggage stemmed from long distance races like the TCR where the riders need to be self sufficient, but relatively light and the likes of Instagram and GCN have brought the set up mainstream.
Yeah, I’ve noticed that on some US based websites. I wondered if it was because it gives you decent capacity but also makes the bike easier (compared to rear panniers) to push uphill on those occasions you have to walk. Just a guess though

Also, panniers are wide and unsuitable for tight singletracks.

While that is completely true, and I can't argue with it, it's worth considering how often that happens?
I've ridden some pretty narrow tracks with 4 panniers (and sometimes a trailer) with no problems.
Just remembering, the biggest consistent type of problem I had like this was cycling across the UK and the ridiculous barriers on cycle paths. The problem wasn't the panniers - it was my handlebars!^_^

Every choice we make has advantages and disadvantages. The best decisions are taken when we know and understand the disadvantages as well as we understand the advantages.

Just on the rattling panniers (true!), Some plastic tubing (gas, water) on the rack pretty much eliminates rattling and negates the need for any inserts supplied to fit different racks. Totally uncool, but effective!^_^

contadino

Veteran
If not panniers, the obvious thing is a saddlebag on a bagman but she has ruled that out too. Can you strap a seatpack onto a bagman? I would expect the length means the turning forces exceed its capacity and it will break, but the only other idea I have is a mini front rack with a bag strapped between it and the handlebars and that is wayyyy uglier, but it sounds like your wife is differently aesthetic so maybe it is an option!

I use a nitto r10 mini rack to support my saddle bags. It's a pretty adjustable and could be used to support a saddle pack. Just an Idea.

Top Bottom