Saddle patch-up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I took some chunks out of my 4mth-old Selle Royale XO saddle last week when I came off a few times on ice.

I was thinking of patching the shredded bits and small holes with something like black Gaffa tape. Would that be suitable or would I end up with it all over my bib tights after a few rides ?

Any suggestions as to how to patch the saddle up would be appreciated.

Cheers

why dont you stitch it?

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

spandex said:
why dont you stitch it?

I never thought of that ! Good idea.

Not sure how practical it would be given that it's plastic, but I do have some clear plastic thread I could try. Might need to get a stronger needle and a thimble though as I'd be guaranteed to do myself a mischief if I attempted it without 'protection' :angry:

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

mickle said:
You are embarrassing yourself with this talk of repairing a plastic covered saddle with gaffer tape. [shudders] Please just buy a new saddle.

But I've only just broken it in and made it bearably soft - it's only 4 months old and I'm a Scotsman and loathe to spend over £20 all over again so soon... :wacko:

I've just spent about £50 on parts to repair the other damage from last Tuesday, and what with it being Christmas I'm out of spare 'bike bits' cash right now. :biggrin: In the last month I've also had to replace a DVD player, a PC graphics card and a PC monitor too. I'm broke !

goo_mason said:
But I've only just broken it in and made it bearably soft - it's only 4 months old and I'm a Scotsman and loathe to spend over £20 all over again so soon... :wacko:

I've just spent about £50 on parts to repair the other damage from last Tuesday, and what with it being Christmas I'm out of spare 'bike bits' cash right now. :biggrin: In the last month I've also had to replace a DVD player, a PC graphics card and a PC monitor too. I'm broke !

if its just £20 ill buy you one for x mas mate but you do need a new one I was thinking it was a nice leather one.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

mickle said:
Twenty quid? Is that all? You really are Scottish.

Yes ;)

And all those little replacement parts add up in the end, or as we say up here -

"Many a mickle maks a muckle"

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

goo_mason said:
Actually, I just got £20 from my Grandad for Christmas, so I guess I could spend it on a saddle.....

May I refer the right honourable member to the post wot I posted a few posts ago viz a viz buying cheap saddles and wondering why they split at the slightest opportunity.

PrettyboyTim

goo_mason said:
Actually, I just got £20 from my Grandad for Christmas, so I guess I could spend it on a saddle.....

Don't bother - yet. Sew up the saddle and see how it goes. If it does the job - brilliant. You've saved £20. You can always buy a new saddle later if your repairs don't hold.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

mickle said:
May I refer the right honourable member to the post wot I posted a few posts ago viz a viz buying cheap saddles and wondering why they split at the slightest opportunity.

Cheap ?!! £20 ?!!

Yon's an awfy fortune, ye ken !

Richt, ah'm awa' tae warm myself by my roarin' candle.... :smile:

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

In the end I used superglue to stick all of the raggedy edges back down to cover it all up, and then some permanent black marker pen to cover up the white edges.

"Make do and mend." Why throw away something that's perfectly salvageable and only has minor damage ? :becool:

(I can hear Mickle tutting and sighing at my apparent Scottish tightness :biggrin::biggrin:)

Top Bottom