Saddle Position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon Head

Can anyone advise me on the correct saddle position for a velodrome bike?
Originally I set the bike I used from Derby velodrome up so my leg was nearly straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Unfortunately I had no choice on saddle fore/aft position, and it was a plastic covered slippery saddle. I ended up being perched forward on the end of the saddle nose, OWCHI! I asked my wife to photograph my static side view when the pedals were horizontal to make sure my knee was vertically over the pedal axle, it was about 5mm behind but pretty close.
Lots of people have said that the knee over pedal method is not best but as far as I am aware it is the only way apart from digital bike fitting which it is not worth doing until I get a bit faster.
Got any better methods of achieving this?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Your leg should be nearly straight when your heel is on the pedal, not when you are clipped in. Look at pictures of professional riders and they have a lower position than many amateurs.

The seat tube is not vertical so the higher the saddle is the further back you will be.

OP
OP
Simon Head

Simon Head

Your leg should be nearly straight when your heel is on the pedal, not when you are clipped in. Look at pictures of professional riders and they have a lower position than many amateurs.

The seat tube is not vertical so the higher the saddle is the further back you will be.
I do know about setting saddle height using a nearly straight leg and heel on pedal.
I thought I was limited by my hamstrings being shortened due to my injury, however I have just watched the fantastic Graeme O'Bree film and his dynamic position is right on the nose of the saddle when he is pushing hard. I would really like to meet him or go to a talk held by him, even if it was only 1/2 hour I would travel to Scotland from my home in Oxfordshire to see him!

I dont subscribe rigidly to the knee over pedal thing but it's always seemed quite simple just to perch leaned against the garden wall and use my eyes to assess where my knee is.

Top Bottom