Saddle position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I always feel like I'm sliding forward on my saddle after a while so I always take an allen key with me and occasionally slacken the front bolt off half a turn and tighten the back bolt up the same but still feel like my bum bones aren't where they are supposed to be.

Anyhow today I found an 8" spirit level, I put it on a slightly angled piece of wood then turned it 180º to check its accuracy.

When I put the one end on the nose of the saddle there was a good ½" gap over the cheek area of the saddle so why do I keep sliding forward ?

I've done the old knee over pedal at the 3 o'clock position (albeit on my own) and that looks OK. I think that's why my hands are aching after a while as I seem to be pushing my self back all the time.

Any suggestions ? start from scratch ? Saddle height is OK as I can just about tippy toe on one foot when I stop.

Saddle, for what it's worth is a Tioga XC and the bike is a CB hybrid.

Abitrary

Elmer Fudd said:
IAnyhow today I found an 8" spirit level, I put it on a slightly angled piece of wood then turned it 180º to check its accuracy.

I know it's the received wisdom to have the saddle exactly level, i'm not sure it's as simple as that. If it's padded, that may also affect it more than you think.

Whenever I feel that I've got the saddle position just right, after a while I notice that the pressure of sitting on it makes it *look* like the saddle is pointed up a bit at the front.

If it's a hybrid, I'd try aiming the stem up as high as it can go, maybe having a play with the angle of the handlebars in the stem, and see if it's the overall stretch that's causing the problem

Bigtallfatbloke

I eventually got it right, more by trial & error (and constant adjustment on the road) than by design. I also notice that my saddle looks like it points up at the front...100% level doesnt work with me....especially as I am losing weight rapidly and my leather saddle is getting softer.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Noodley said:
And I wouldn't say that was too accurate either.
It's a suspension seat post (not the best) so it's tiptoe when at full height and it can drop about 1½" if I've just hit a bump.

Makes me realise I should have took every dimⁿ. under the sun off my old bike before I scrapped it !

Aching hands and sliding forward are common symptoms of a saddle that is too high.

Pedal around the block for 10mins to get warmed up, as its not good fitting the bike to your body when cold as you have different flexibility and needs when you are warm.

After riding around for 10mins (or enough to break a decent sweat) get back to your house and if you have aturbo, you obviously dont need to ride round the block!

Stay on the bike but move your heels so that your heel bones are in line with the pedal axles. Pedal about slowly in a low gear. If you can feel your hips rocking to allow your foot to stay on the pedal, your saddle is too high. Drop it by a couple of mm and try again. Obviously ride around every time you start to cool down.

Stop lowering the saddle as soon as your hips stop rocking. You are now correct to aroun +/- 4mm. Now you need to ride out for longer and see if you need to adjust up or down.

The key to this is to literally adjust by 1 or 2 mm at a time so that you don;t go too low.

Might be reach rather than saddle height. Has the saddle got any forward movement on the rails? Try moving it forward. Can you raise the handlebars on the stem? That could be another possibility. If you're over reaching you will come forward and your wrists will ache with too much weight on them. You will also naturally come forward when you're putting some effort in. Normally you settle back when you don't have to push as hard.

With regard to touching the floor with feet whilst on the saddle - I can't on my bike. I have to come off the saddle.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Ms fudd helped me with the old string from knee to pedal axle, I was about 2" further back ! I've put a mark on the saddle rail and moved it forwards about an inch. when she goes to work at 2pm I'm going for a wee spin. I've also dropped the saddle about 4mm, it's amazing how you can balance in the street but not in your front room !

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Changed my mind about the pootle out this afternoon, just took the dog out for a walk and when he cocked his leg he nearly got blown over !

Top Bottom