Saddle recommendation sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Membrane

I'd like a new saddle, my current one causes chafing problems. Roadbike/racing saddles assume that their users put a lot of power on the pedals thereby significantly reducing the weight on the saddle. This doesn't apply to me. "Comfort" saddles on the other hand are often designed to be used with normal clothing, my current saddle is a "comfort" saddle and I suspect that this is why I get chafing problems with my padded shorts or longs.

So I'm looking for something in between. Weight is not a primary issue. I'm not up for a Brooks btw. I've seen Specialized Alias saddles recommended, but I've had a bad experience with other "Body Geometry" kit, and reviews on the web show that they are a risky option.

I love the Alias! I have one on my roadbike and on my mtb. I think it is a brilliant saddle.

When I was looking for saddles I bought one, wrapped the rails in electrical tape, installed it and then rode the clubrun on it. If I didn't like it I took it back off made sure it looked good and clipped it back onto its packaging using a couple of cableties where they were when i bought it. Back for a refund.

I only did it once, as the Alias was the second one I tried, and I liked it so much I bought one for my mtb too.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Sadly, buying a saddle is the one area of cycling where anyone else's advice is entirely irrelevant.

Finding some way of experimenting with various models is the only way of finding out what works for you. Some shops do have 'borrow' ones and quite a few of other cyclists have more than one type on various bikes or stuffed in a cupboard that you could try and borrow.

OP
OP
Membrane

Membrane

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I love the Alias! I have one on my roadbike and on my mtb. I think it is a brilliant saddle.

You are not alone in loving this saddle, although MTB's generaly don't seem to like it: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Saddle/product_125722.shtml

For me the problem with the Alias is that there are too many people who hate the thing, there is widespread criticism of the durability and quality of the construction, and too many people who basically like the saddle rate it as a hard and (at least initially) painful saddle for longer rides.

It also seems to have been designed with low weight as a primary design goal with its hollow titanium rails, this makes it prone to failure, and weight is not a big issue for me.

OP
OP
Membrane

Membrane

alfablue said:
The Avatar is similar in design but more robust

The Avatar looks like a good alternative to the Alias. It has Chromo rails instead of Titanium (which some people have found too weak) and the 2007 redesigned model seems to have solved the weakness of the stitching that both the Avatar 2006 and the Alias have been reported to suffer from, plus the 2007 cover is reported to be smoother with no hard spots.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Membrane

Membrane

ghitchen said:
I find the Selle San Marco SKN perfect for me. I have the Ti rail version on my best bike and have just ordered the CroMo version for the winter commuter.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=&Cat=&Section=&GenCode=SANMSADD0570

Crickey, that's great value. Found a good review of it also, at that price this one looks worthy of a punt. If it doesn't work for me I wouldn't feel too bad about having bought it.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist

Hurricane Steve

Hi Membrane
I've tried many a saddle in my time, and at the moment I use a Brooks.

As Tim Bennet said:
Sadly, buying a saddle is the one area of cycling where anyone else's advice is entirely irrelevant.

Give it a try, some win, some don't.

Top Bottom