Saddle recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Blimey, that must be vintage by now, I had one of them back in 1967 - ! :okay: Think Brooks stopped making them a long time ago.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Charge Spoon? Cheap and for my butox very comfy.

indeed i like spoons
Whereas I found the Charge Spoon on a bike that I bought VERY uncomfortable and immediately swapped it for a Planet X!

That's why there isn't a lot of point in telling people which saddles are comfortable and which aren't, unless you happen to know that they have the same size/shape a*se as you! :okay:

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Whereas I found the Charge Spoon on a bike that I bought VERY uncomfortable and immediately swapped it for a Planet X!

That's why there isn't a lot of point in telling people which saddles are comfortable and which aren't, unless you happen to know that they have the same size/shape a*se as you! :okay:

I will have a closer look at the charge spoon and selle regal, but when I compare my worn in b17s shape it is the reverse of shape of the san marco rolls and selle regal which seem quite arched in shape and have found such saddles uncomfortable in the past, as we all know there's no one answer to this problem.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

i dont know any of you well enough to know what shape you are ;)

simongt

Guru
yep it was a present from John at Bob Warner cycles, I believe they replaced it with the B17n, pretty sure my Carlton came with a B5n and that is a 67
When I contacted Brooks out of interest, I was told that the B.5N had been a budget saddle; it cost me £5 :eek: which, as a schoolboy was a LOT of money - ! One of my pals had a Sun Snipe Plus which came supplied with a B.15. I was so envious - ! :dry:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When I contacted Brooks out of interest, I was told that the B.5N had been a budget saddle; it cost me £5 :eek: which, as a schoolboy was a LOT of money - ! One of my pals had a Sun Snipe Plus which came supplied with a B.15. I was so envious - ! :dry:

Yep it was fitted as standard to a lot of Raleigh built bikes, supposedly made of 'substandard' leather that was either too thin or had blemishes (hence the impressed dimples) it must be one of the rarest Brooks nowadays.The one on my (actually my cousin Graham's) Carlton was never looked after, after borrowing it for a day at a time in the mid 70's when Graham had moved on to a Scooter and then a car I saw the bike had been left outside at the back of the garage (for a couple of years) and was in a very sorry state so I asked if I could take it and after replacing the solidly rusted chain and all the seized cables and 'freeing up' the Simplex rear mech it became my going to work bike through the early 80's.
Then in probably 1988 I got knocked off by a lorry which promptly ran over the bike (just missing me) which wrecked both wheels, snapped the fork and broke off the 'wrapover' seat stay and also broke the nose off the saddle and ripped off one of the pedals destroying the crankset but because I loved the way the bike rode I rebuilt it with 'handbuilt wheels'done by John at Bob Warner Cycles the rear triangle re-brazed at Sid Mottrams (John didn't have brazing kit) and a new 'fully chromed' CrMo fork.i also decided to 'uprate' to a 'double clanger' crank and after a visit to Julie's Cycles bought and fitted a 'New 105' crank and both mechs. This remained my only vehicle for the next 10 years.

Anyway, bit of a rambling post but for me the 'best' Brooks saddle would be the B17n (narrow)

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Personally I wouldn't be too worried about weight, comfort is key. I have both Selle SMP and Fabric Scoop saddles on my current bikes and find them both very good, but as others have said it's a very personal thing.
Wiggle currently have the Fabric Scoop Elite at half price (£25) a bit of a bargain for a 260g comfortable saddle. I'd buy another one if I didn't already have a spare one in my parts box.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fabric-scoop-radius-elite-saddle

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Personally I wouldn't be too worried about weight, comfort is key. I have both Selle SMP and Fabric Scoop saddles on my current bikes and find them both very good, but as others have said it's a very personal thing.
Wiggle currently have the Fabric Scoop Elite at half price (£25) a bit of a bargain for a 260g comfortable saddle. I'd buy another one if I didn't already have a spare one in my parts box.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fabric-scoop-radius-elite-saddle

i picked up a couple of the same shape with white logo for £17 each

Top Bottom