Saddle recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
Im building a slightly sportier and lighter bike than I normally have can anyone recommend a suitable saddle its an Audax bike for longer day rides needs to look a bit classy and something lighter than a Brooks b17, might go for a San Marco Rolls but open to other ideas.

T4tomo

Guru
Im building a slightly sportier and lighter bike than I normally have can anyone recommend a suitable saddle its an Audax bike for longer day rides needs to look a bit classy and something lighter than a Brooks b17, might go for a San Marco Rolls but open to other ideas.

one that is comfy and suits your derriere!

don't sacrifice comfort for "looks".

That said all most of my fleet is kitted out with SM Rolls saddles as I happened on one on a vintage bike I bought and found it super comfy, so I bought a couple more. One is the "Titanio" railed version, which is about 100g lighter.

I get the occasional quizzical glance at a Rolls on a lightweight carbon Bianchi , but hey!

Sharky

Guru
San Marco Rolls
That would be a good choice for a classic look. My preference is for the San Marco Regal, which has large copper rivets.

But as everyone will say, everybody is different, so no magic bullet for saddles.

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm a fan of the fizik argo range. I have a terra argo on my gravel bike, a tempo on my road bike, and vento on my TT bike. The terra and tempo are very comfy (for me). The vento is okay, but if I can find a tempo for a decent price, I'll be swapping it out. Saddles are a very personal thing and what works for me may not work for you.

Velochris

Über Member
I'd suggest buying secondhand. If it doesn't suit you can sell, not lose too much and then buy something different.

I've used Brooks Cambium C17 for years now and would not use anything else.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a few Brooks b17 and really like them but thought I would try something else and yes saddles are difficult to get right I have a box of sponge covered plastic anvils in the loft I will never use

I’d just stick with the Brooks and save the weight elsewhere (not that it really matters for Audax)

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I’d just stick with the Brooks and save the weight elsewhere (not that it really matters for Audax)

Possibly, I've never been one for weight watching but I am trying to do something a bit different with this.
I ride a lot of old 3 speed roadsters and almost anything is lighter than them and indeed the 3speeds are a joy to ride and when I use one of my lighter bikes I seem to fly .

T4tomo

Guru
I think a B17 is about 575g and a San Marco rolls is 360g or 290g for the Titanium railed variety. Neither would look out of place on an audax bike.
2-300g on a saddle is not going to make any discernible difference to your speed of progress, but an uncomfortable arse will do. Clearly a lightweight steel of alu audax bike will be quicker than an old 3 spd roadster.

That said a cheeky bid on a Rolls on Ebay will allow you to test one out for little outlay.

Petrichorwheels

why does it have to look "classy"?
Are your fellow riders in the habit of looking under your arse?
I'd go for comfort on whatever sort of rides you need it for.
That and durability.
I'd head to decathlon and check out a few of their offerings.
Last time I looked they did a few selle royale saddles - tho maybe not branded as such.
I rate them.

Top Bottom