Saddle replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Road_Runner

Regular
Hi,

I'm thinking about changing my saddle as the bit between my legs aches. Not in a chaffing way. I believe the saddles with a gap in the middle is suppose to relieve the pressure that causes this ache. Is there any science to the size of the gap and the size of the saddle? Or is it just a matter of throwing money at saddles until i find one that suits me?

Thanks

Cyclist33

The latter.

There's a case for a Brooks saddle, but i've never tried one so can't comment on that.

There is "science" to it although it's more like sophistry, but (for example) Specialized Store would measure your arse up and prescribe you a saddle; Fizik dealers have a thing where they tune you up based on if you're a "snake", "bison" or "big fat whale" or some such. In essence there was a time when you couldn't pick and choose and people's butts still got used to the saddle they were on - they called it "riding the bike" which is a rare currency these days.

Some saddles just "feel right" when you try them in a shop or over a five minute test then 75 miles later you're shuffling along in agony. Some people swear by the thinnest, hardest seat and insist it matches their sit bones precisely, but the reality is that they never will as the human body is far more variable than the range of available sizes.

You might try angling your current saddle down at the front by a smidgeon, it will take some pressure off the bit between your legs. I mean a smidgeon, One notch at a time then do a couple of hours out and see how it is.

Cyclist33

Not exactly, but since most sellers won't let you test a saddle for long enough to find out if you like it, I suggest your last comment is apposite about it being trial and error.

I have settled on ones with a gap in the middle and a v shape cutaway out back, coz of I get less gyp that way, but it wasn't a scientific process - it just involved lots of miles on one or other saddle.

I have a psychological issue where I simply can't help tweaking a bike ad infinitum, this doesn't help either really as I have definitely found sweet setups then subsequently ruined it!

OP
OP
Road_Runner

Road_Runner

Regular
Hmmm.....I wonder why bike shops don't have saddles on demo.

Any thoughts on the trial and error technique? Or is it simply looking at a saddle, reading the reviews to make sure that enough people seem to be happy with it and try?

vickster

Legendary Member
Sit bone measurement and getting the correct one for your gender is the only science. Specialized can measure the former, you can confirm the latter. I think specialized and selle Italia offer test saddles. Otherwise buy a couple of barely used ones on eBay, or classifieds here and see how you go, reviews will help on build quality, aesthetics but not comfort. I actually find good (premium brand) padded shorts are more important than the saddle. I don't have dangly bits to consider though!!

Drago

Legendary Member
Definitely the latter. People rave about a well worn in Brooks or Lepper, and gnarly MTB dudes rant about Charge, but my pert buttocks are happiest on relatively cheap and nasty Velo bum perches, usually found branded as Giant, Trek etc on their mid range steeds. What works for the masses doesn't work for my, and won't for you. Trial and error is the only way you'll know if a brand is well.suited to your size/shape posterior.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd recommend a Brooks, either the B17 which is good for wide sit bones or the B17n (for narrow) version for slimmer rear ends (mind you I am saving for my 6th one, a Flyer this time methinks)

Mike!

Guru
I'm looking to change my saddle as it's restricting the distance I can do, it's a Specialized Romin Pro that i was measured for but I've now given it 200 miles. Whilst it has improved slightly (first ride I was in a lot of pain after 8 miles) yesterday I managed 28 miles but I can hardly sit down today! I've done several rides around 20 miles with a fair bit of pain so thought I would try a bit further, now I wish I hadn't!

My LBS offer the Selle Italia fit system which for them has a 100 % success rate (not being doing it long mind you but it's a good sign) so I'm going there once I have some pennies together as I'm getting frustrated being held back by a sore arse!

Hmmm.....I wonder why bike shops don't have saddles on demo.

Any thoughts on the trial and error technique? Or is it simply looking at a saddle, reading the reviews to make sure that enough people seem to be happy with it and try?
If you can find your way to a Leisure Lakes store then they have Fizik saddles that you can take away and test. But as @Cyclist33 says, sometimes they seem good for shortish rides but for longer rides they can be agony, also setup can be equally as important. FWIW the Charge Spoon has lots of fans and it is relatively cheap, was not good for me though. Might be worth a punt, as they have good re-sale value.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You can take some of the guesswork out of it by thinking about where is hurting, and what that means in terms of saddle shape.

After some trial and error, I know I need a saddle with a raised rear (e.g. a Fizik Aliante rather than a Fizik Arione (the latter being relatively flat). Or a Brooks, of course (I have a B17-N on my Long Haul Trucker, and love it).

Saluki

World class procrastinator
HI

Have you been to the bike shop and sat on the assometer thing that many of them have now. This measures your sit bones for width and then the shop can recommend some saddles for you. Lots of shops here have loaner saddles (you leave a deposit and then clear off for a week with a loaner).
If you want to try a charge spoon (no gap in the middle though) I don't get on with mine drop me a PM. Hubster prefers his Specialized Body Geometry Riva saddle (they are about £25 brand new btw and definitely worth a punt). I have the ladies version of the Spesh BG Riva on my PX now and it's just fabulous. Of course the Giant is currently saddleless.

HI

Have you been to the bike shop and sat on the assometer thing that many of them have now. This measures your sit bones for width and then the shop can recommend some saddles for you. Lots of shops here have loaner saddles (you leave a deposit and then clear off for a week with a loaner).
If you want to try a charge spoon (no gap in the middle though) I don't get on with mine drop me a PM. Hubster prefers his Specialized Body Geometry Riva saddle (they are about £25 brand new btw and definitely worth a punt). I have the ladies version of the Spesh BG Riva on my PX now and it's just fabulous. Of course the Giant is currently saddleless.
Sorry to hear the Spoon did not work for you either:thumbsup:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Sorry to hear the Spoon did not work for you either:thumbsup:
It was comfy in the short term but anything over about 10 miles it seemed to get increasingly uncomfy for me. I wiggled the seat about, position wise, then gave up. Hubster has threatened to give it a go but I think that he's sold on his Riva now.

Top Bottom