Saddle Sore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I do very little cycling and I've entered (in a fit of enthusiasm) the Cheshire Cat which is about 5 weeks off.

I went out today and clocked 45 miles - which is pretty good for me. However, after about an hour, my Brooks Colt saddle started to feel uncomfortable. Should I continue to use it in the weeks before the CC, or should I change it ? Is there any saddle which is guaranteed to be comfortable from the start ? (for around 8 hours !)

It could be that I felt sore, just because I'm not used to sitting in (any) saddle for any length of time. The Brooks saddle is not new, but I've only used it wearing padded shorts; would it mould better to my shape if I used it wearing unpadded shorts ?

I'm uncertain about what to do, I've never done a 100 miler before and I don't want the saddle to be an issue on the CC.

I'd be pleased to receive any advice/ideas. Thank you !

By the way, I wore my Cyclechat gear today and it is excellent; a couple of 'proper' local cyclists actually waved at me - presumably because I'm beginning to look the part (just need to lose a stone or two):smile:.

aqaleigh

its a case of trial and error

brooks always seem to need breaking in

could be the wrong shape or size for you & it depends where you are hurting - if it is in the buttock region you'll probably find it goes over time - if however its more to the front or on the upper legs where they join the buttock then try moving your seat back a little at a time

gwhite

Über Member
The Brooks colt if I remember correctly, uses leather that is much thicker than the B17 Champion or even the Team Pro. This means that it is more difficult to "break-in" as to create the depressions in the correct place your sit-bones have to press down and actually break the leather fibres which can be a painful and protracted process if achieved at all.
If you want to create these depressions without the pain and yet keep the saddle at its original hardness this is possible. Use wet paper tissues to soak the underside of the saddle across the area of the intended depressions. You should have a fair idea of where these should be on the saddle. When the leather is wet, use your thumb or some rounded object to press down on the now pliable leather, to create the depressions. You may prefer to keep these shallow and let your bum do the rest while riding. Now leave the saddle to dry for at least 12-24 hours before using. The saddle when dry will retain its original hardness and you can now use Proofide as recommended. All my Brooks saddles have this treatment before I fit them on the bike.

e-rider

crappy member
If you don't cycle much your butt will hurt whatever saddle you have - simple! If you're heavy 100+ kgs then your choice of saddle is very important for long rides. If however, you weigh not much more than a pack of maltesers then with some training you'll be fine on almost any saddle.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm with tundragumski - not that I'm in any way disputing gwhite's suggestion, which sounds like it makes a lot of sense. But if my experience in getting back into cycling after a break of a decade is anything to go by, it's your bum that needs to 'get used to it' at least as much as your saddle.

It might be worth having a few more rides of 'about an hour' over the next, say, fortnight...then you've got three weeks to start working on the saddle if more drastic action does prove still to be required. If, again, my experience is anything to go by, after a half-dozen or so rides the problem goes away of its own accord.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
swee said:
I think (and hope) that you may be right. I'm already not feeling quite as sore after each subsequent ride. I just don't want saddle-soreness to be an issue on the Cheshire Cat.

jimboalee

+1 gwhite.

The best way to 'run-in' a new pair of combat boots is to swim across the river Exe and then march 30 miles. As they dry, they mould to the foot.

The same principle applies to leather saddles. I have three Brooks saddles. All three spent a morning in a bowl of warm water before their first outing.

My Pro Honey has a bit of stretching around the front rivets, but feels like a Chesterfield armchair..:biggrin:

jayce

ive been cycling for years then had some time off ,then i had a sore rear end when i started again i think you have got to get used to riding again, i use a san marko aspide titanox its like a razor blade but i ride 5-6 times a week and im used to it now

Top Bottom