1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saddle Sores - What to whap on 'em?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by TimDanaher, 3 Dec 2007.

1. TimDanaher

TimDanaher Well-Known Member

I've got an irritating, low-grade boil/zit on me blarse...it doesn't stop me riding, but it is a bit uncomfortable at times.

What's the best non-prescription gunk to slap on it? I've tried Sudocrem -- no joy. Raw steak is not an option.

Ta,

2. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

A Brooks. :biggrin:

Otherwise, try a dot of tea-tree oil. Oh and make sure your shorts are really, really clean.

3. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Why do people always say Brooks ???????????????????? hard as rock nearly...

I always 'get rid' of the stuff inside then CLEAN :biggrin:

Then fresh clothes....:biggrin:

4. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Red hot poker...or if you're a real man...a Brooks!

5. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Tried a brooks for a while once..but didnt like the idea of my knob packing in !

6. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

It won't. Trust me. :biggrin:

7. ransos

ransos Legendary Member

On my recent LEJOG, a combination of top quality padded shorts, savlon, and nurofen gel seemed to avoid any problems.

8. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

That's because you seem to have failed to include a bike.:smile:

9. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

nurofen gel :smile: :blush:

10. TimDanaher

TimDanaher Well-Known Member

Cheers, all -- (I don't seem to be getting notifications of posts, BTW). I'm going to stick some black salve (icthyolan) on it and see what happens. Makes a mess of your keks, though.

11. Chris James

Chris James Über Member

I have fathered two kids since buying a Brooks. Maybe my wife has a leather fetish?

12. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Brooks has had no effect on my ability or libido. Bit difficult these days with 8-week-old sprog and wife who freezes if I even look at her in the bedroom.

Lansinoh or Camillosan cream will help cure most spots, cracks, lacerations etc. They're designed for cracked nipples in breastfeeding mums.

13. ransos

ransos Legendary Member

It's just the job. Applied twice daily to the undercarriage, and no significant discomfort as a result.

14. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

Given the recommendations, I'd get a brooks - but I'm vegan and don't buy any leather goods. I'll have to stick with my planet-x job; after 52 miles (my longest ride!), my legs hurt far more than my arse!

15. Blue

Blue Legendary Member

I may be wrong, but if I had to apply pain killing gel twice a day :tongue: I'd be thinking I needed a different saddle or bike set-up! It took me a long time to find a saddle that suited me - I have three bikes and replaced the original saddle on every one of them.