Saddle sores

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
Hi ive been off the bike for a few months but on the last few rides ive been getting a hot rear end and a few boils. So i changed the saddle to a sella italia slr but today my rear end is in rags. I checked the bike fit and it looks right i wash my bib shorts after each ride do i need to change my saddle.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Sounds like you need to do shorter rides to begin with. I often ride for a couple of hours at a time wearing denim jeans and I don't suffer any ill effect. I've never even worn cycling-specific clothing.

Slioch

Guru
A liberal smearing of this on your undercarriage before a ride should help. Other brands are available.

1574615400313.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Build it up, but let the sores heal, so short rides first. I wouldn't ride too far in jeans - given at least 4x folds of fabric in funny places on the seams - I do occasionally potter about in jeans too, but nothing serious - i.e. family ride. They aren't good in bad weather !

Try sudacrem after a ride.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Build it up, but let the sores heal, so short rides first. I wouldn't ride too far in jeans - given at least 4x folds of fabric in funny places on the seams - I do occasionally potter about in jeans too, but nothing serious - i.e. family ride. They aren't good in bad weather !

Try sudacrem after a ride.
i had some shorts that bunched up as the leg grippers were rubbish and they gave me a saddle sore , took them back .

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Yeah i thunk i need to stay with the same saddle and do shorter rides to get my rear end used to cycling again it cant be the sorts they are new well ive only used them about 8 times.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wouldn't ride too far in jeans - given at least 4x folds of fabric in funny places on the seams - I do occasionally potter about in jeans too, but nothing serious - i.e. family ride. They aren't good in bad weather !

No adverse effects on me up to about 25 miles, but I will always stop a couple of times to have a drink, and that takes the weight off the saddle. Agree they are not fun to cycle in during heavy rain - they soak up so much water you end up being several pounds heavier. When really soaked I find they can cause soreness.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh, and make sure you haven't got a bacterial infection -AKA jock itch - you can get cream that will sort it quickly - makes the skin really tender.

PS it's not lack of keeping clean that can cause it. I've had it once and no amount of sudocrem etc helped, then researched it, a cream sorted it in less than a week - can't for the life of me remember what - over the counter stuff - similar to athletes foot cream.

alicat

Legendary Member
Try different shorts. Get out of the saddle from time to time to ease the pressure on any hot spots that are building up.

Heigue'r

Veteran
I have suffered the past few weeks with them having never do so before,I run 3 pairs of dhb flaslight during the winter,I have kind of written them off due to this issue however i ran the same last year with no problems,the only change is washing powder,hadn't thought of that until reading this thread,however Ive ran castelli bib shorts during the summer with no side effects and same washing powder..time to experiment...used to use liquid and softener however the new machine recomends powder and have given up on softener as my little girl is allergic to it

Top Bottom