Saddle sores

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
...used to use liquid and softener however the new machine recomends powder and have given up on softener as my little girl is allergic to it
I've heard it said that softener is not good for lycra.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi ive been off the bike for a few months but on the last few rides ive been getting a hot rear end and a few boils. So i changed the saddle to a sella italia slr but today my rear end is in rags. I checked the bike fit and it looks right i wash my bib shorts after each ride do i need to change my saddle.
I've twice had months off the bike in the last four years. Most recently four months this year. In both cases I was back on the bike with no problems.

Unless you've made changes to clothing, saddle or position I can't see why these would be the cause.

I'd look at other things such as sitting position or washing powder for example.

Sudocreme is good, better than chamois cream and cheaper.

12boy

Guru
Saddle sores used to be a big problem for me, but not so much anymore. I have had better results with narrow leather saddles that provide the sit bones as the only real contact point. I use gusset type shorts and pants with regular cotton underwear that are seamless in the critical areas. If it is too cold for that then short liners under poly-merino long johns etc. My saddle sores are much more of an issue in warm temps so it seems heat, sweat and friction create the environment that brings on the plugged follicles that generate saddle sores. Having wicking under wear and some airflow with loose shorts helps with that in my case, as does leather which doesn't heat up like plastic. Once a sore is there it needs to drain so sometimes soaking in epsom salts can help. Usually mine start small and prompt attention to that can minimize the problem.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@12boy I think you're spot on with the heat, sweat and friction analysis. I only get saddle sores when touring abroad and if I cover the area in Sudocreme this usually prevents them.

This next bit may sound a bit disgusting. If I get a sore I find the best cure is to keep the area as clean as possible. Usually the sore will be in contact with the saddle, the pressure this creates constantly drains it and the sore clears up very quickly. When this happens on tour I usually find a small blood stained area on the chamois. Always happy to see this as it indicates there is no pus to drain away.

12boy

Guru
It is disgusting but so are saddle sores. I'll add to the disgust by endorsing the strategy of irrigating the area with a hand held shower head set on needle spray. Feels like driving a nail but a few minutes of pain washing out the sore has really helped with a quick heal .

I have suffered the past few weeks with them having never do so before,I run 3 pairs of dhb flaslight during the winter,I have kind of written them off due to this issue however i ran the same last year with no problems,the only change is washing powder,hadn't thought of that until reading this thread,however Ive ran castelli bib shorts during the summer with no side effects and same washing powder..time to experiment...used to use liquid and softener however the new machine recomends powder and have given up on softener as my little girl is allergic to it

Liquid soap flakes worth a try instead, maybe?

Wilkinsons stock them, £3 a bottle. I think most supermarkets stock them as well. I use this for hand washing laundry as I suffer from sensitive skin, and if I use the wrong product, I end up scratching like a baboon... :blush:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Got one at the weekend maybe due to getting drenched and friction,shorts I wore also on the upper end of the right fit so maybe s bit tighter might be better

Heigue'r

Veteran
Having tried some castelli nano flex biblongs and some endura fs 260 pro biblongs,the issue returned early last week so for me it was not down to the bibs or saddle.I got some chamaois cream at the weekend...wow is all I can say,I cannot believe how good I feel after using it.Just got in from 23 mile commute and its like I havn't been on the bike at all..a complete revelation.wooohoooo

Top Bottom