Saddle tilt!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I recently repaired my son's, now abandoned by him, Tesco special mountain bike which caused my wife to go out and by a Raleigh Caprice. So we pedal along the canal towpath near our home having great fun. However my wife's saddle seems incurable of the fault of tilting backwards/nose up after a short period of cycling. I've tightened it to the point that I broke a 17mm 1/4" socket. Any ideas, the bike still hasn't had it's first service.

ayceejay

Guru
New saddle.

screenman

Legendary Member
Sounds like something is wrong if you are tightening the correct part, a picture would be nice.

Sounds like a back to the shop though if you are struggling.

OP
OP
mybike

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
OK, thanks for the many replies. Firstly, I can't post any pictures yet I see!!!!!:angry: (heh but I can change my Avatar)

So a description, the bike is a fairly upright style in a rather old fashioned form. http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pg=9145&pt=266

The saddle uses the old type of clamp which has serrated brackets clamped with a square section bar, threaded at each end. (see the saddle picture in Gravity Aided's post above) Slackening the nut allows swivel, up & down movement, and a sliding movement nose to tail. Both nuts are extremely tight:training:

It is a brand new bike so the problem isn't wear.

And it came from a LBS, not you know who.

Martin

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I did think about worn, but it is a new bike. Mind you if it came from you know who!!!
I think I know what this is :hyper:
One or both of the two round metal clamps (the ones before the nut) are the wrong way round.
The engraved, grippy side, should face away from the nut.
If you look carefully at @Gravity Aided's picture you can see this.
Here is a step by step video.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Not sure I agree @Pat "5mph" the knurled bits look right to me gripping onto the post part.

I wonder if the squared through bolt is twisted around, misaligned and not allowing the whole assembly to tighten up fully
I don't think the picture is the OP's bike, he can't post pictures yet.
Gravity Aided posted a stock picture for illustration - I think :smile:

Top Bottom