Saddle wear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I've had my new bike for around 4 weeks and already the saddle is showing serious signs of damage.
Have a look at the pic it's the same on both sides.
Should i expect a replacement under warranty at this early stage?
Cheers :hello:

Attachments

• IMG_2057 (640x477).jpg
    IMG_2057 (640x477).jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 117

Pauluk

billy1561 said:
Should i expect a replacement under warranty at this early stage?

Yes, definitely.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
What causes it?

My previous saddle got a crease like that, really got uncomfortable on longer rides.

Never seen one do that before. Having said that - it's only deformation, not damage, so I think you may struggle to get a warranty replacement unless the LBS/importer is feeling particularly generous. Either way, probably better to replace with something different...

Pauluk

black'n'yellow said:
Having said that - it's only deformation, not damage, so I think you may struggle to get a warranty replacement unless the LBS/importer is feeling particularly generous.
I had a car that after two years developed a problem on the steering wheel whereby a small section of leather became delaminated. Was more of an annoyance than anything else. The dealer replaced the wheel with no fuss at all.

If the bike retailer made any fuss about a replacement I would make a bigger one, especially after only 4 weeks. That saddle is not fit for purpose IMO

Mr Jamie said:
What causes it?

My previous saddle got a crease like that, really got uncomfortable on longer rides.

Strong ar*e cheeks :laugh:

The saddle is 'fit for purpose' because I assume it is still usable as a saddle and that the issue is purely cosmetic. As I said before though, if all they do is replace it with another identical saddle (which is all they may be obliged to do), then I doubt if you will be any better off.

OP
OP
B

billy1561

BB wrecker
Black and yellow I disagreebecause the saddle causes pain that I didn't have when it was new.
I take your point regarding like for like replacement but I will just sell it and put another brand on.

Pauluk

I usually find that if a retailer is facing a repeated warranty claim (as this may be a weak saddle design, cosmetic or not) they may well offer an alternate just to see the back of the problem.

OP
OP
B

billy1561

BB wrecker
I usually find that if a retailer is facing a repeated warranty claim (as this may be a weak saddle design, cosmetic or not) they may well offer an alternate just to see the back of the problem.
Its a Sella italia x 1 road which is a cheap saddle to be honest and lets a £2500 bike down.

Pauluk

billy1561 said:
Its a Sella italia x 1 road which is a cheap saddle to be honest and lets a £2500 bike down.
For a bike that's 4 weeks old costing £2500 then I would definitely expect the shop to sort it out and I would express my concern at the premature failure and say I hope they would agree that a new one isn't going to go the same way thus having to repeat this exercise again. This may make them think and may be offer an alternative solution. Any reasonable retailer would sort this out unless by some strange quirk they could show that the saddle had been misused, which I'm guessing hasn't.

Even if it were cosmetic (which you say its not) it doesn't matter as cosmetics play an important part in a new bikes suitability. What would you do if half the paint dropped off the bike in 4 weeks and made it look a complete mess. "Oh its still rides ok, that's alright then". I wouldn't.

Top Bottom