Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I have a Brooks which until recently has been brilliant. Now I have developed a very sore bit on my buttock. It's not a boil but looks like a friction sore. I have been putting vaseline on it when I go out. On today's ride it was really sore and it got me thinking as my mind was focussed on my bum. We have hard saddles then wear soft padding in our shorts. Why don't we just have slightly softer saddles and no padding in our shorts. Seems to me to make more sense. (I am talking about recreational riders rather than out and out racing cyclists who have a different needs).

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The pad in the shorts moves with you, and forms a friction barrier between you and the saddle - or should do. Therefore any friction - chafing - occurs between the pad and the saddle. If you have a soft saddle, and no pad, chafing can occur between you and the saddle, the softness of the saddle potentially increasing the friction.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
YoungOldBloke's explanation answered my question clearly and perfectly. I hadn't thought of it in terms of friction, I had only considered it as padding.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well, I ride lots and don't wear padded shorts or have a very padded saddle (most of my miles are done on a Charge Spoon) I have even done 100+ mile rides on a Sunday and then continued to ride to work on the following days. In fact I don't wear cycle specific shorts at all, Just whatever is suitable for the weather and briefs or boxers underneath.
Get the right saddle and I reckon it just all just falls into place.

tyred

Legendary Member
Don't wear padded shorts either. Brooks B17 seems comfortable enough. Don't really get on with any other saddle.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Don't wear padded shorts either. Brooks B17 seems comfortable enough. Don't really get on with any other saddle.

Mine is also a Brooks B17, and like Tyred I normally find it comfortable. I have often been out for rides in jogging bottoms with no pad without any problems. I don't think the sore on my backside is saddle related, rather one of my pairs of tights that I wear a fair bit. The pad is wearing a bit thin, couple that with the fact I have lost a lot of weight, the tights don't really fit properly any more. I am having a few days off now to let my skin heal and in the meantime we have just ordered some new shorts.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i fitted 2 selle smp lite 209's to my most used bikes and then swap them around if not using 1 of the bikes for a while , saves having different saddles on every bike

Top Bottom