saddles and sit bones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

Went for the B17 Narrow in the end. I liked the team pro looks better but I was thinking that my lightweight (and getting lighter) build would be better suited to the slightly softer and thinner skinned B17 and the narrow should still be plenty wide enough for my sitbones.

Hopefully it'll be right or it could be the start of a long odyssey through various saddles. Who knows if I do have a Brooks backside and take to it I might get the team pro anyway and move the B17 to the mtn bike. Now that might look odd!

Next post will be about looking after it!

Dave5N

Über Member
I rode B17s for years. OK they were.

I now have a specialized Toupe (mentioned much earlier). It looks like a mediaeval torture device, but it is by far and away the most comfortable saddle I have ever used.

Fanbloodytastic. Best seventy quid I ever spent.

Crackle said:
Went for the B17 Narrow in the end. I liked the team pro looks better but I was thinking that my lightweight (and getting lighter) build would be better suited to the slightly softer and thinner skinned B17 and the narrow should still be plenty wide enough for my sitbones.

Hopefully it'll be right or it could be the start of a long odyssey through various saddles. Who knows if I do have a Brooks backside and take to it I might get the team pro anyway and move the B17 to the mtn bike. Now that might look odd!

Next post will be about looking after it!
How's it going then?
Having read the whole of this thread I would have tried to nudge you in the direction of the saddle that you have ended up buying. I'm a dedicated real ale drinking leather saddle fetishist but having started on a regular B17 (killed through over Proofiding and fiddling with the tension bolt) I have graduated to B17Ns. I once had a Champion but it was far too wide. The B17N is the narrowest saddle that they produce (apart from the Swift/Swallow megabuck seats) and that was what I was after. Incidentally, I'd just like to put in a word for Paul Smith and Bikeplus. One of the most helpful and friendly chaps ever and Bikeplus is a damn good outfit. :biggrin:

A few tips on the saddle now that you have it:-

1) Check the threads on here and other places on saddle care/breaking in. There's a lot of advice out there.
2) use Proofide AND NOTHING ELSE on the saddle.
3) Proofide the saddle once and once only. It will soak in and soften the leather, doing it too often will wreck the saddle.
4) Don't forget, Proofide the underside (once only) and use mudguards.
5) Get a cover (about £3.99) and use it. Moisture will ruin the saddle.
6) NEVER, EVER fiddle with the bolt.

Good luck! Brooks saddles rock. :biggrin:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Chuffy: Well I've done about 6 hours of riding on it so far, no one ride longer than an hour yet and the first 2 or 3 were spent feeling the saddle out for adjustment, a couple were on the turbo too, so really still getting the feel of it.

The saddle feels hard but not uncomfortable and I'm not getting the numb feeling the gel was giving me. It's starting to gather a few creases in the leather but it's not broken in yet. Width wise it's OK and my sitbones are resting comfortably on the wider part of the saddle. The one thing I do find is that the leather doesn't really grip, so I slide about a bit more (saddle is setup level), I presume this will stop as I break in a position on the saddle.

Proofed once so far, bottom and top and I was thinking about a partial proof over about 2/3rds of the nose section in a few weeks if it hadn't softened anymore but I'll wait and see.

Overall I think it's going to suit. I love the looks of it on the bike and apart from feeling hard it's not giving me any problems, will report back in the New Year after some longer rides.

Noodley

Crackle said:
The one thing I do find is that the leather doesn't really grip, so I slide about a bit more (saddle is setup level), I presume this will stop as I break in a position on the saddle.

I found a slight "up" angle at the front was more comfortable than "level". Not a noticeable amount to look at mind, just what would technically be called a "smidgen".

Noodley

spandex said:
I do like a smidgen it dose make all the difference.

You noticed as well then ;):laugh:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Not broken this saddle in yet and am having a few doubts. Proofed twice now and the tendency to slide out of position is beginning to cheese me off ;) I reckon I've done about 400 miles on it so far. Not done too many miles this last two months but I was hoping it would have started to feel more comfortable by now. Maybe I'm not a Brooks person after all :biggrin:

Chris James

Über Member
If it is any use I found mine held out for a while and then sort of gave. I don't recall sliding around for ages, even though it did when i first got it. Basically I would give it another couple of hundred miles at least.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Crackle said:
Not broken this saddle in yet and am having a few doubts. Proofed twice now and the tendency to slide out of position is beginning to cheese me off :biggrin: I reckon I've done about 400 miles on it so far. Not done too many miles this last two months but I was hoping it would have started to feel more comfortable by now. Maybe I'm not a Brooks person after all :sad:

I persisted with mine for 1000 miles and then gave up on it as anything over 20 miles and it was really hurting my arse sit bones. Bought a spec toupe and its been the best money I have spent on my bike in a long time and is a real joy to ride on:biggrin::biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
this brooks stuff cracks me up, they can't be that much more comf that a decent saddle surely?

Top Bottom