saddles and sit bones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blonde

If you are committed to a Brooks of some sort, you can always customise it and lace the sides in, to prevent rubbing on your inner thighs. I don't get on with standard Brooks as I need a cut out so I tried a customised one which was better, though not as good as it's subsequent replacement - a Selle An-Atomica leather saddle with cut out (made in the US), which flexes more than a Brooks so is more comfy for me.

Chris James

Über Member
If it is any use to you, I have put about 1500 miles, maybe more - I am guesisng! - on my B17N and the sitbones are heavily indented but the sides don't appear to have flared at all. I do wonder if the standard B17 are a bit more hammocky due to its extra width. As Blonde points out, you could lace the sides if necessray - in fact Brooks sell some that have holes for that purpose.

The Team Pro looks nicer but doesn't have bag loops and is a bit more expensive. If you don't want bag loops I would be tempted with the Team pro even though I really like my B17N.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I think it's between the B17N and the Team pro. I marginally prefer the looks of the latter and the loops aren't important as I think I'm going to go for a Carradry saddlebag rather than the Barley I was initially thinking of.

I shall just do a bit more measuring and checking of my posterior position on the saddle today before I decide. Selle An-atomica is noted for future reference but I don't think I need to go down that route yet. I think I've discounted Gel saddles (sorry Mickle) as I've never used gels before, current saddle being the first and I don't like the feel of them. This is the first saddle that's ever troubled me.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Chris James said:
I've got a B17N. My selection was because it was the cheapest Brooks that would suit my skinny frame (and presumbaly narrow sit bones).

The other advantage is that it has bag loops.

Anyway, I find it really comfy. I have my bars a couple of inches below the saddle and maybe a more upright position would be better suited with the normal B17?

Gel saddles are dire in my opinion.

By the way Crackle, I vaguely recall you from C+ looking at buying a Dawes Audax? If so the black B17N looks nice with mine. If I am wrong and you have some carbon lightweight effort then the saddle might not look right.

I find the standard B17 is OK (even on an Aluminium bike :sad: with a fair height difference twixt Saddle and Bars. No chaffing either on the sides. plenty of room to move fore/aft also.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Actually FF that looks quite nice. Black and red is a nice combo. Not sure about a Green Barley with that though, or is it black?

That SQR bracket is a bit of a beast. I think that's made my mind up on the bag thread.

I couldn't ride that bike of yours. Lovely though it looks I couldn't be doing with being so stretched. My bones are seizing upright despite copious amounts of cod liver oil.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Crackle said:
Actually FF that looks quite nice. Black and red is a nice combo. Not sure about a Green Barley with that though, or is it black?

That SQR bracket is a bit of a beast. I think that's made my mind up on the bag thread.

I couldn't ride that bike of yours. Lovely though it looks I couldn't be doing with being so stretched. My bones are seizing upright despite copious amounts of cod liver oil.

Hi Crackle, yes my Barley is Black. Agree the bracket is a beast and eventually I will transfer it to my Audax bike project. BUT, it works soooo well for my needs I don't mind too much.
The bike's not too much of a stretch (if my belly shrank a bit), as I mentioned on the layback seatpost thread I have quite a longish back compared to my leg length. The bike fits well for high speed work and 100 mile day rides are fine.

U

User482

Specialized make a device for measuring the width of your sit bones. Using this, I ordered a Avatar saddle in 143mm, in preparation for my LEJOG. The result was increasingly unbearable agnony for 4 days, until I went and bought a well padded Bontrager, which was fine for the rest of the trip.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

mickle said:
crackle said:
I think I've discounted Gel saddles as I've never used gels before....
Interesting decision making process there. ;)

<quote out of context alert> :sad:

yes Swift looks nice but is heading rapidly into 'blow the budget' territory.

Current saddle is a well padded gel and is just not comfy. Without access to a Specialized measuring device I read various measurement techniques, one of which was to put some flour in a baking tray and stick your arse in it! Now it didn't say so but I reckon that that one is best done in the privacy of your own home, preferrably near the shower and don't tell the wife you've had your arse in the baking tray!

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Crackle said:
I think I need a saddle which is at least 140 wide (Selle Italia was 130 - Ouch). I also ride the Audax with the bars an inch or two below the seat nose and although I don't slouch along, I don't ride in a committed race position.

So having finally veered towards Brooks I can't quite decide between the B17 normal or narrow or the team pro. At the moment I'm thinking team pro because it tapers a little sharper, so won't rub my thighs. I also have a tendency, like many, to come forward on the saddle when I'm putting some effort in, in which case I want less saddle under me as there is more weight taken on arms and legs - at least that's the theory. I also think if the B17 is too wide, it'll push me forward and then I'll end up lifting the nose to stop me coming forward and it'll all get a bit uncomfortable.

Reading your post makes me think you will be happy with the team pro... I don't think you have to worry about the saddle rubbing your thighs, this is a problem I've had with other saddles but not with the team pro. A word of warning though :sad: if you think you will know on yours first ride if the team pro is the saddle for you then you are not really giving the team pro a chance - this saddle is very, very hard when brand new and it only becomes comfy after quite a few rides (it took 500 miles for the saddle and my rear side to become best friends ;) )

The B17 is only 1cm wider than the team pro and for an extra fiver you can get the champion which is also a lovely saddle.

Rick

Noodley

RRSODL said:
...this saddle is very, very hard when brand new and it only becomes comfy after quite a few rides...

Some people must have a "naturally" Brooks arse - mine was comfy from day one. :biggrin:

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:
Mine too. Must be the years of applying proofhide to my buttocks...:biggrin:

:sad:

I was Proofiding my saddle last night -something very comforting in it. :biggrin:

I have even ordered a cover for my saddle to keep it cosy and dry in the winter :biggrin:

Top Bottom