saddles and sit bones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
Tynan said:
this brooks stuff cracks me up, they can't be that much more comf that a decent saddle surely?

I suppose what saddle you consider to be comfy depends on the saddle design, your arse shape and how long you are in the saddle for. I can only say that with my B17N I no longer ever even think about discomfort on the saddle. In fact I forget about the saddle completely. I have never had this with the various non Brooks I have tried, but this may be because I am a tight wad and don't want to pay shoot loads for a super dooper 'decent' saddle. I think my B17N cost about £35. Also I expect the Brooks to continue to be just as comfortable for years to come, whereas some of the plastic efforts I have struggled with in the past seem to have hardened over time.

I think it makes sense that a leather saddle should end up being very comfy. As an analogy I have full grain leather walking boots. They were stiff when I first bought them but after breaking in feel like a slipper and will last for ages (after a few resoles). My wife bought some fabric / goretex efforts with internal padding. Fitted like trainers from the off and she was very pleased with them. But after a bit of wear the padding compressed and the over fussy stitching disintegrated making them uncomofortable and needing replacing. She has now moved onto leather boots too.

Anyway, each to their own.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Thanks Chris, I'll persist. My mileage should start going up again this month with some longer 2-3 hour rides as well. I'm thinking about changing seat stems as the one I have is quite basic. I'd like an 'infinitely' adjustable one, as opposed to being splined. One spline change brings the nose of the saddle up to high.

A lot of people have good things to say about Brooks saddles so I need to give it a fair trial. The problem is not my sitbones but the fact that sliding forward takes me off my sitbones and onto a fleshier bit on a harder part of the saddle (this is the bit I've re-proofed).

I do need a new saddle for my mtn bike as the cover is ripping. For this I might buy something like the Specialized and see if it suits.

Chris James

Über Member
Longer rides might well sort things out as I think my one truly gave out on a couple of 60 milers whereas 20 mile spins don't seem to do as much.

I have a Dawes Audax 2006 too and for me luckily the seat post seems to drop at the right angle. I would hold fire buying a new seat post if I were you. One of the side effects of breaking in is that the central section goes VERY slightly hamocky, so you may end up with your desired position anyway.

I also find that I sit on different bits of the saddle during rides. The back for going up hills and the front if I am putting down the hammer (or at least as much hammer as I can manage!!). Mine is comfy in all areas to be honest. Of course it is possible that you don't have a Brooks arse after all!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I might get a Toupe for the mtn bike Dave. Heard so many good things about them I should really try one. At least if I don't like it I can sell it, whereas no one wants a half broken Brooks.

On a good note I did manage to get the Brooks into a position which was more comfortable today. I previously tried slight nose up but I did it again today with the saddle fully forward and the bars on their highest setting: Result. No sliding and my bum in the right spot. I'll try that for a couple of rides and see how it goes.

stevenb

Just thought I'd add to this thread.

I recently bought my new bike and chose the Specialized Toupe saddle. The LBS assumed I'd be a 143mm but said they'd be happy to change it for a 130mm if I wanted.
I had the test and it turned out that I was 125mm so naturally the 130mm seemed to spring to mind for choice.....but having said that I am finding the 143mm one to be ok so far.
The 1st 52 miles ride I did was fine.....comfortable too.
I have noticed discomfort a little more when using the bike on the turbo trainer though...but generally thats after 30 mins or so.....so I am unsure whether I should stick with my 143mm or ask for a 130mm. :biggrin:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I find on the turbo you don't move around as much as on the road. I shift position/come out the seat everytime I change gear/pace once I'm past about 20 minutes.

Can't advise on the width though. I know 130mm is way too narrow for me and I'm by no means big :rolleyes:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I think I'm winning. Flats and creases are beginning to appear, the sliding is less and when I'm sitting back its feeling OK but forward is still uncomfy. I'll be able to stop wearing two pairs of shorts soon :ohmy:

No but seriously I'm glad I've persevered as I think this is going to work, though I wish it had been comfy from the start like a few of you had said.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Glad it's working out for you, Crackle.

The Pedaller's A to Z on the Brooks;

BROOKS SADDLE. Constructed of hard leather, sometimes mistaken for titanium. Must be broken in -- the rider, that is. Favoured by traditional cyclists who traditionally forgo comfort for pain, which may account for the awful grimaces you sometimes see on their faces. Not so bad once you go numb. Recommended for male cyclists who wish to remain without issue. [Brooks veterans may regard this entry as outrageous hyperbole, to which we respond: yeah, all right, probably.]

(My emphasis :ohmy: )

OP
OP
C

Crackle

:biggrin: That's very good.

The turning point was 1 30 mile ride I did which was just torture. By half way through I'd decided, with absolute certainity, that I was heading for the LBS to get a gel the next day.

Fortunately or unfortunately it was Easter weekend, so I couldn't. I had to do another ride on it and it didn't feel so bad. So I did another and that didn't feel so bad either. The I went on my mtn bike and i couldn't get comfy on the saddle and I found myself missing the Broooks :ohmy:

I've been assimilated :biggrin:

PS. I've done all my issuing now

hatless

Über Member
The Brooks website is seriously classy. I've just been staring at it all like a kid in a sweet shop. I remember Brooks saddles from the bike racks at school a hundred years ago. I had no idea they still existed. Unchanged! That neat little metal label. And some of them cost twice as much as I paid for my bike!

The trouble is I think I want one now, and I think I'll therefore need to get a bike it will look right on. This could be seriously expensive.

Top Bottom