Saddles....so many choices!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeIow

Guru
I am looking to replace an old gel saddle on my hybrid. Read a lot here already.

I don't ride hundreds of miles: generally perhaps a 20+ mile ride every few weeks for fun......but I will be doing London to Paris with a mate in August.....& I do get a sore backside on my saddle! (yes, I have padded shorts!)

I'm reading how good Brooks are, but I fear my miles won't break it in this year (I am trying to get out weekly now!). Wondering about a Charge Spoon TI.

Any ideas?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Charge Spoon saddles are excellent, by all accounts but as I am of the female persuasion I've not tried one myself.

If you go to your LBS they might well have an arseometer that will measure your sit bones and assist you in finding the perfect saddle for you.
My Dad swore by his old Brooks. I swore at one and gave it back to Dad.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
regarding Brooks - first of all, I am a Brooksian myself. About 35 years ago I got crippling arse pain 30 miles into 45 mile trip. I was advised "get a brooks leather saddle" . So I got one - comfort straightway, no breaking in, no special shorts - so for me this was the solution. But, they don't suit everyone . Over the years, I have had B17 (default choice especially if sitting fairly upright) team Pro (my current favourite), and Swift which I was less keen on. For a hybrid I'd try the B17.- you can flog it on ebay if it does't suit. As mentioned above - I'm not a believer in magic formulae to break it in - and if it's right for you it should be fine from the off.

There maybe other perfectly fine saddles, but I've never felt the need to risk something else and the gamble on the Brooks Swift didn't really work for me - but would doubtless be perfect for someone else

PpPete

Legendary Member
regarding Brooks - first of all, I am a Brooksian myself. About 35 years ago I got crippling arse pain 30 miles into 45 mile trip. I was advised "get a brooks leather saddle" . So I got one - comfort straightway, no breaking in, no special shorts - so for me this was the solution. But, they don't suit everyone . Over the years, I have had B17 (default choice especially if sitting fairly upright) team Pro (my current favourite), and Swift which I was less keen on. For a hybrid I'd try the B17.- you can flog it on ebay if it does't suit. As mentioned above - I'm not a believer in magic formulae to break it in - and if it's right for you it should be fine from the off.

There maybe other perfectly fine saddles, but I've never felt the need to risk something else and the gamble on the Brooks Swift didn't really work for me - but would doubtless be perfect for someone else

Profpointy beat me to it.
If a Brooks is not comfortable from the outset no amount of "breaking in" is going to help. Just sell it on while still in "as-new" condition.
I've never thought of a Brooks as a gamble because their resale value on ebay is such a high %age of the RRP. (Charge Spoons are also pretty good)

As it happens I get on with the Swift better than all the others but I have narrow sit-bones (although they are ...ahem... well-padded).

the snail

Guru
Profpointy beat me to it.
If a Brooks is not comfortable from the outset no amount of "breaking in" is going to help.
Not for me, pretty uncomfortable new, took about 200 miles to adjust - I could feel it getting better with every ride, now it's comfy for 12 hrs plus rides, padded shorts no longer a necessity. Definitely worth a try, as ppPete says they keep their value well if you don't get on with it. I'd suggest using it for shorter rides initially if your backside doesn't get on with it immediately.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not for me, pretty uncomfortable new, took about 200 miles to adjust - I could feel it getting better with every ride, now it's comfy for 12 hrs plus rides, padded shorts no longer a necessity. Definitely worth a try, as ppPete says they keep their value well if you don't get on with it. I'd suggest using it for shorter rides initially if your backside doesn't get on with it immediately.

Thinking again about my post, I guess I was lucky not to need to break it in (much) but if you do, you do. i guess. By analogy, I've had uncomfortable shoes which have over time become more comfy than my carpet slippers - but others which have actually not fit in hindsight and been dumped - despite seeming OK initially.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Thanks for the comments....I may try B17.....not sure whether the one with the 'gap' may be more comfy, although I suspect either it will be good...or not.....!
cheers

Top Bottom