Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cockney Scot

Thinking of changing my saddle before the summer and was looking at this one
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/expedition-plus-saddle-ec007262
has anyone tried it or anyother recomendations. Current saddle came with the bike nearly 10 tears ago , its still comfy but considering upgrading. I tend to cycle around 50 miles each saturday and Sunday and may start using the bike for commuting 15 miles each way. Bike is a tourer 21 in frame with 700x38 tyres , i am not into speed , just like to plod along and am planning a cycle camping holiday in the summer.

willem

Über Member
I had a similar saddle from the same I think Far Eastern manufacturer on a budget bike that I bought when I was briefly living in the States. I still have it on a commuter bike: it is soft, sweaty and terrible. Saddles should be hard because you should sit on them rather than in them. My personal preference for touring bikes is a sprung Brooks like the Champion Flyer.
Willem

andym

Über Member
Possible choices you might look at are:

Selle Anatomica
Brooks
or Fizik Arione

Specialized do good kit too, but I don't have experience of their saddles.

Proud2Push

Getting a Brooks B17 last year was life-changing - I really do forget I am on a bike saddle. An unexpected bonus is not needing padded shorts which simplifies keeping clothes clean while touring. Interestingly, James Bowthorpe is using his B17 and didn't bother with padded shorts until Istanbul. I don't recall that he complained of saddle sores, but I may be wrong.

This Dilbert cartoon has probably been well-aired but anyway:

samid

Guru
+ another 1 for Brooks (FWIW, I'm using a Professional "pre-softened").

pinkkaz

Veteran
I really want a Brooks. Not sure whether to get the B17, the B17 Narrow, or the women's specific B17 S.... Any ladies got a Brooks? The B17 does say it's unisex though. Hmmm...

andym

Über Member
pinkkaz said:
I really want a Brooks. Not sure whether to get the B17, the B17 Narrow, or the women's specific B17 S.... Any ladies got a Brooks? The B17 does say it's unisex though. Hmmm...

Have you got an existing saddle you like? Could you take the dimensions of that and find the Brooks with the closest shape?

Proud2Push

pinkkaz said:
Any ladies got a Brooks?

Don't know if my husband would view me as a lady, but I do have a B17S. I tried a B17 Special but it didn't feel right. Had real reservations about going for a Brooks at all - naff, clumsy looking, etc, and couldn't bring myself to even consider the women's specific because I thought if would be so broad and ugly, but on the bike it looks really cute and smart, not big at all, and from the moment I sat on it I knew I'd made the right choice.

pinkkaz

Veteran
andym said:
Have you got an existing saddle you like? Could you take the dimensions of that and find the Brooks with the closest shape?

Good point. Actually my current saddle is closer to the standard b17, but who knows if the women's one would be even more comfortable? I think I'll probably go for the standard one as my current saddle is pretty comfy...

...next month after I'm paid, that is!

Top Bottom