Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

Sittingduck said:
hmmm - interesting :biggrin:
I seem to have the same problem with my Charge Spoon saddle. It's okay for short rides but generates saddlle sores on rides over about 25 miles :smile:

Perhaps I just haven't given it enough of a chance. I have done a few hundred miles on it now mind you.
Done 60 miles yesterday on my new Brooks and was impressed. yes I was a bit saddle sore at the end but think it was as more to do with the fact i hadnt been out for 3 weeks.
As for not being sure if it looks right on the bike. I was hesitant as in the box the saddle look looked abit bland but on the bike it looks ace, I chose the black leather as my last saddle was black.
Would far rather has a comfy saddle than a red raw bum.

NickC

What, please, is all this stuff about Brooks saddles being fantastic after 41 metres? I thought it took over 400 Km for one of those things to shape itself to your shape (or you to its shape, more like). At least that's my experience, but perhaps you've all got super-hard bums that do the job in a few metres.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Brooks - instruments of torture.

Just taken my Specialized Toupe 130 out of the box, ridden 40 miles up hill and down dale, and it's just dandy. No breaking in, and a groove down the centre for your perineum. The Babe has the Toupe 143 Gel and she found it instantly comfortable.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
75 quid is worth it IF you know the saddle will be comfy. The problem I have with shelling out a fair few quid on a saddle is that you just never know intil you have ridden it for a while. Could end up having an expensive collection of barely used saddles stashed away in a cupboard... as I am sure many CC members already have :biggrin:

I have also heard the FIZIK Airone etc is good :smile:

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Specified a Brooks saddle for the new Bromp M6R. Rubbed in plenty of proofide from underneath and already - after only a week or so - its breaking in nicely.

Domestique

Über Member
Quick update, 20 miles today plus a couple of short around town runs and no bad feelings between myself and my new Brooks.
This might turn out quite good :smile:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Nice one Domestique. I ordered a Brooks last night! Will be putting it on my hybrid initially, with a view to swapping out the seatpost onto the road bike for long rides, providing I do find it comfortable :smile:

Plax

Guru
pinkkaz said:
I really want a Brooks. Not sure whether to get the B17, the B17 Narrow, or the women's specific B17 S.... Any ladies got a Brooks? The B17 does say it's unisex though. Hmmm...

Bit late into this thread but I'll add my tuppence worth anyway ;).

I have both the B17 S and B17 S Ladies.
To be honest there is not much difference between the two. The nose is longer on the B17 S than on the ladies and that's pretty much it.
If you're of the feminine persuation I'd err away from the B17 narrow!

At the moment I am finding the B17 S more comfortable, but that is the first Brooks I got that come with the tourer and I've done over 2000 miles on it whereas the ladies I've recently stuck on the hybrid has done less than 100 miles.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

Done approx 150 miles over 4 consecutive days on the new saddle and feels like it is broken in. Yesterday was a lovely relaxing ride. Hopefully I will be able to ride with ordinary shorts instead of having to wear the padded variety, will find out next weekend.
Got to get some conditioner for it to keep it supple

pinkkaz

Veteran
Plax said:
I have both the B17 S and B17 S Ladies.
To be honest there is not much difference between the two. The nose is longer on the B17 S than on the ladies and that's pretty much it.
If you're of the feminine persuation I'd err away from the B17 narrow!

Cheers m'dear. I don't think I'll get this for a while though. I just won some STI shifters off ebay and the next purchase is bar-tape. Is it just toooo extravagant to get Brooks bar-tape.

I should have known this would happen - I get a galaxy off ebay but then spend loads of money making it pretty and upgrading bits...

Plax

Guru
pinkkaz said:
Cheers m'dear. I don't think I'll get this for a while though. I just won some STI shifters off ebay and the next purchase is bar-tape. Is it just toooo extravagant to get Brooks bar-tape.

I should have known this would happen - I get a galaxy off ebay but then spend loads of money making it pretty and upgrading bits...

oooo, but a Galaxy *has* to have a Brooks saddle! After that a Carradice saddle bag is pretty much compulsary too B)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
just in case anyone else has the same issue:-

got Brooks B17 standard, went to fit the bracket for my Topeak saddlepack and couldn't be done. Lot's of advice everywhere about you need to go with a pack that straps on rather than clipon for Brooks. Found a tip for an alternate and it works. Topeak F22 fixer bracket:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topeak_Fixer_F22_Bracket/5360022935/

got mine from Wiggle and got a free keyring bottle opener. Plus this bracket is designed for racing style saddles, so the Brooks must be a fast saddle:biggrin:

scraynes

Über Member
I finally got round to ordering my B17 last weekend. It's just arrived this morning, it was fitted within 5 mins of the postman making wheels! Just did a small ride (10km, I know but they count up quicker than miles and I normally tour in France). I have to say it was very comfortable - but I wouldn't expect it not to be for that length of ride.

Three things that other owners might be able to help with.

1. When did the saddle stop being so slide?

2. I used proofide on the underside and not on the top, but how much do you use? I just put a small amount on, just to change the colour to wet black .

3. It says not to use the proofide on the top surface, but also says that it will shower proof the saddle?? Do you put any on the top surface leave it for a few minutes and buff off?

I can't believe that it's taken me so many years to get one - will report further after a weekend of cycling..

Top Bottom