Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domestique

Über Member
My B17 is here :thumbsup:
Just been for a quick 5 mile pootle and apart from my bum sliding around a bit, something I read is normal with new Brooks, all feels good :eek:
Will go for a slightly longer ride a bit later, but it has felt very comfortable thus far.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

Domestique said:
My B17 is here :thumbsup:
Just been for a quick 5 mile pootle and apart from my bum sliding around a bit, something I read is normal with new Brooks, all feels good :eek:
Will go for a slightly longer ride a bit later, but it has felt very comfortable thus far.
Likewise, just done 11 miles mixture of road and canal and no problems. Just got to slightly adjust it not quite high enough at the front.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I like my Brooks B-67...a sprung model, since it's on a flat bar bike (upright riding position). Most people who ride down on the drops prefer the B-17. Most people, I believe, would advise you to be aware that it may take a break-in period, before it really becomes comfortable. My experience is the same as someone mentioned earlier...you tend to not even notice that you're on a bicycle saddle. I'm sure, that if my bike is ever nicked, the thing that will infuriate me the most would be the loss of my broken-in Brooks saddle.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

fitted the new Brooks last night and had a short cycle . Gone out today, so fae done 40 mikes (another 20 to go) and I am impressed. 1st proper cycle for 3 weeks and very little discofert. . Glad I went for it know. Didnt look much in the shop but well worth the money and looks great on the bike. Thanks for all the advice, I would probably have spent around £fm on a peace of plastic if it hadnt been for the feed back on here.

RedBike

I while ago I brought a second hand Brooks. I hated it. Horrible thing.
30mins riding and I was in pain. After an hour commute I had to use a cushion on my office chair!

At the start of this year I was talked into buying another. I got it very cheap and I knew I could probably ebay it back on for more than I had brought it for.
When I first fitted it I wasn't overly impressed. It was comfortable but nothing special. I regretting not buying the lighter and more comfortable San Marco Rolls.

However...
After a few 1000 miles something strange seems to have happened to my Brooks saddle. Its now slightly miss-shaped and serisously comfortable.

I guess they really do form to suit your backside! Which is why I hated the second-hand one I brought originally.

willem

Über Member
There are always some only slightly used second hand ones on the market, sold by those who give up too early. They should not be a problem. Heavily used ones are indeed a different matter, of course.
Willem

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Sittingduck said:
I am considering getting a Brooks but don't know if it will look "wrong" on a road bike...

Well mine was "wrong" for my backside rather than wrong for the bike

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Sittingduck said:
Did you buy it new or used ffff?

I bought a new b17n and gave it about 1500 miles before ditching it for a specialized toupe. I found that up to 20 miles it was fine but almost like a switch 21 miles onwards then it was owwwwwwwwwwwwww :smile:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
hmmm - interesting :biggrin:
I seem to have the same problem with my Charge Spoon saddle. It's okay for short rides but generates saddlle sores on rides over about 25 miles :smile:

Perhaps I just haven't given it enough of a chance. I have done a few hundred miles on it now mind you.

Top Bottom