Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
scraynes said:
I finally got round to ordering my B17 last weekend. It's just arrived this morning, it was fitted within 5 mins of the postman making wheels! Just did a small ride (10km, I know but they count up quicker than miles and I normally tour in France). I have to say it was very comfortable - but I wouldn't expect it not to be for that length of ride.

Three things that other owners might be able to help with.

1. When did the saddle stop being so slide?

2. I used proofide on the underside and not on the top, but how much do you use? I just put a small amount on, just to change the colour to wet black .

3. It says not to use the proofide on the top surface, but also says that it will shower proof the saddle?? Do you put any on the top surface leave it for a few minutes and buff off?

I can't believe that it's taken me so many years to get one - will report further after a weekend of cycling..

1. I can't really recall mine being slidey, the only time it was when the nose was pointing slightly downwards. I suppose it will stop getting slidey when your bottom leaves indentations in the saddle ;)

2. I just dabbed some on the end of the cloth and worked it into the underneath a bit like you'd polish your shoes. I took no notice at how little or much I used, but it wasn't a lot.

3. I don't remember reading anywhere for you not to use it on the top surface. If I recall correctly it recommends that you proofide the top, especially in the first 3 months of use. I proofided the top, left for a few mins, and then buffed it off (a bit like polishing your shoes!). I did it a couple of times in the first 3 months, but only ever bother now if it's looking a bit unloved. I'm sure there are many Brooks owners that don't bother proofiding their saddle.

scraynes

Über Member
I've just re read the booklet. I misread it a little bit. I says to apply only a small amount to the top and buff it off once it's dried in. and then goes on to say not to apply to top of the aged saddles.

Just looking forward to the morning to go and have a decent ride on it.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Mine arrived Today :laugh:
Had to order Brooks Proofite from Chainreaction though, as I didnt realise I would require anything :laugh:

Will be buffing and breaking it in over the next couple of weeks...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Sittingduck said:
Mine arrived Today :laugh:
Had to order Brooks Proofite from Chainreaction though, as I didnt realise I would require anything :laugh:

Will be buffing and breaking it in over the next couple of weeks...

I need to think about that, so far haven't done anything but fit it and ride, though do cover seat with plastic bag when left out during day. About 140 miles now and no pain yet, maybe I've got one of those bums:biggrin:

Top Bottom