Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I know this is a hard question to answer, but would a charge spoon be more likely to be comfy than my stock saddle on my spec crosstrail? Stock saddle is quite padded and has a little depression in it for soft bits.

I'm having huge problems after about 30 mins with comfort and I've tried everything!

Gbola

Thanks for that I agree about the gel cover it's much better without it
You really think so? because selle gel cover seats meant for road bikes has been great for me. I ride longer and faster with it. With it I have been able to climb the hills that defeated me in the past using the same bike.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
With it I have been able to climb the hills that defeated me in the past using the same bike.

Surely that has to be totally psychological? I can't see how a saddle would increase your stamina and/or strength unless you have totally the wrong saddle in the first place and the discomfort is so bad that it's sapping your energy?

Svendo

Guru
I recall reading somewhere (can't recall where though) that extra padding can actually be counter productive, as it allows more movement and 'bounce' which causes more soreness than good contact between a normal saddle and a 'conditioned' buttock. Also check that the saddle height and position forward-aft as well as tilt are correct. Unfortunately this is part of the dark art of bike fitting, and there are no absolute answers, however there are good rules of thumb which all tend to get you in the same ball park position wise.

I use the heel flat on pedal at 6 o clock with leg fully extended for initial saddle height, knee just forward of pedal axle for front back, and roughly level (which if you ever race is a UCI requirement).

Then make TINY adjustments to find what's best for you. The height can be a bit lower, especially when starting with clipless, but not too much or you'll bounce too much.

When saddle is about right in relation to the pedals, adjust the other contact points to fit, not vice versa. This usually means changing stem length or handlebar height or size.

If you're getting problems like knee or other joint pain, get proper advice as it can lead to all sorts of problems in the long run.

Eddy Merckx spent his whole career adjusting his saddle, never quite getting it right. Discovered later he had a leg length discrepency.

Gbola

Surely that has to be totally psychological? I can't see how a saddle would increase your stamina and/or strength unless you have totally the wrong saddle in the first place and the discomfort is so bad that it's sapping your energy?
More comfort means better concentration and more enthusiasm. Add the two together = better performance. When you enjoy what you are doing you tend to do it better. Isn't that so?

Top Bottom