Safety: Cycling versus jogging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've come straight to this section of the forum, and almost didn't bother posting as I accept this is much of a muchness but genuinely found what I'm about to say 'intriguing' so thought I'd put it out there.

So I've recently started running in to work, after moving home and thinking 3.5 miles isn't far enough to cycle. I'm currently running one day, then cycling the next.

When I cycle I average about 17mph, and cycle fully on the road. When I run I average 8mph (if I've done the maths right to convert 7.30 minute miles) and run entirely on the pavement.

I feel much, much more vulnerable running. Every time I come to a side road, I shoulder check, I check the rest of the road, but always feel more at risk when crossing those roads (about ten of them) than I ever do on the bike on the same commute in.

I wear a helmet when I cycle, I don't when I run - even since acknowledging that my perception is of a higher risk when running. Mind you of course - who wears a helmet to run... So the question isn't for me "Why don't I wear one when jogging" but instead "Why don't I stop when cycling".

This is the closest I've come to not bothering with a helmet since I've started cycling... (the wife wouldn't approve though).

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I jogged (lumbered) for a few months when I thought I wouldn't be able to cycle again. I found myself wearing a reflective/high viz vest. I wouldn't even consider wearing one out so the bike so why did I do it?

Perhaps it was because every runner I had seen did it? This might explain why so many new to cycling feel it is necessary to wear 'one of those hats' when they start because a lot of the cyclists they see wear one?

More likely in my case I think I my train of thought was, the emergency services might find my carcass slightly quicker at night if I'm easier to see slumped in the hedge.

I didn't feel particularly at risk though.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've come straight to this section of the forum, and almost didn't bother posting as I accept this is much of a muchness but genuinely found what I'm about to say 'intriguing' so thought I'd put it out there.

So I've recently started running in to work, after moving home and thinking 3.5 miles isn't far enough to cycle. I'm currently running one day, then cycling the next.

When I cycle I average about 17mph, and cycle fully on the road. When I run I average 8mph (if I've done the maths right to convert 7.30 minute miles) and run entirely on the pavement.

I feel much, much more vulnerable running. Every time I come to a side road, I shoulder check, I check the rest of the road, but always feel more at risk when crossing those roads (about ten of them) than I ever do on the bike on the same commute in.

I wear a helmet when I cycle, I don't when I run - even since acknowledging that my perception is of a higher risk when running. Mind you of course - who wears a helmet to run... So the question isn't for me "Why don't I wear one when jogging" but instead "Why don't I stop when cycling".

This is the closest I've come to not bothering with a helmet since I've started cycling... (the wife wouldn't approve though).
I keep thinking about ditching the lid. What worries me more isn't the injury that I may sustain if (though highly unlikely) I have an accident but that if the worse should happen some numpty of a judge decides that my wife gets less justice because I am somehow contributing to my own demise by not wearing a helmet. Until this ridiculous state of affairs changes, whereby somehow, in the eyes of the law a plastic hat is going to save you from a rampant car driven over you by some texting moron, I will continue to wear a, possibly, fairly useless item of cycling clothing.

Ern1e

Über Member
I agree with @jazzkat on the judges ruling against non helmet wearers involved in an accident ! So I use one almost every ride plus some kind of hi-viz just in case,but I also take in to account that it is each individuals right to use one or not.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I agree with @jazzkat on the judges ruling against non helmet wearers involved in an accident ! So I use one almost every ride plus some kind of hi-viz just in case,but I also take in to account that it is each individuals right to use one or not.

Has there actually been any proof that a judge has reduced comp because of someone not wearing a plastic hat?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

My best mate has a rather annoying habit of mentioning helmets EVERY time he sees me near the bike. He's a very occasional cyclist and an occasional jogger.
A little while ago he tripped and fell whilst jogging and managed to knock his face about a bit, he got the right hump when I asked if he had thought about wearing his helmet when he goes for a run.
Coincidentally he's a copper too, I expect you know him, his names Paul.

Ern1e

Über Member
Has there actually been any proof that a judge has reduced comp because of someone not wearing a plastic hat?
Now on that I am not sure but going on the "where there's blame threr's a claim mob" any excuse to get out of paying up will be explored. So in an attempt should it happen to me then at least I have taken as many precautions as possible except for not being out on a bike.

doog

I was a jogger for 25 years, got bitten in the nuts once but never fell on my head.

Someone will be along soon to tell you how they fell on their head whilst jogging.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Now on that I am not sure but going on the "where there's blame threr's a claim mob" any excuse to get out of paying up will be explored. So in an attempt should it happen to me then at least I have taken as many precautions as possible except for not being out on a bike.

I was never an issue with my claim. (against the police of all people)

Ern1e

Über Member
I was never an issue with my claim. (against the police of all people)
That also happened to a mate of mine here on a mini roundabout police van hit him ! and he was wearing hi-viz plus lid they also sorted out payment etc very quickly, but must say of all the people to do this is a bl**dy joke seeing how they are supposed to be top rate drivers etc.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I don't believe so. I think there might be cases of negotiated (i.e. by the lawyers) contributory negligence reductions - but by definition they are confidential.

I know a man who would know - paging @User ....

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I don't think running or cycling are dangerous activity's if you treat them sensibly, I have done a lot of running & a lot of cycling if I had to rank them for risk, I would say cycling is riskier because of the proximity of vehicles.
It depends on how far you run. This article is a decent introduction to the concept of the micromort - a one-in-a-million chance of death.

Walking or cycling 30 miles gives a risk of 1 micromort. Running a marathon - a similar distance - gives a risk of 7 micromorts. I'll see if I can find a more reasonable figure for shorter distances.

Thomk

Guru
I was a jogger for 25 years, got bitten in the nuts once but never fell on my head.

Someone will be along soon to tell you how they fell on their head whilst jogging.
A friend of mine broke her jaw in 3 places earlier this week when she fell while out jogging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom