Safety: Cycling versus jogging

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by CopperCyclist, 11 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyberknight

cyberknight Legendary Member

Nut case, helmets called nutcases, obscure reference ..................

2. Saluki

Saluki I've run away with my friends to..

I got hit by a low hanging branch and knocked myself out while jogging. My own fault for not paying attention on a new route. My excuse is there was quite a fit looking chap jogging on the other side of the road and I was looking over towards him instead of what was in front of me. He did come to my aid though, so a winning situation. Shame he was gay. For me I mean, not for him.
    I still wouldn't consider wearing a lid while jogging, or for walking to the supermarket or anything else that doesn't involve a motorbike. I had to wear a lid while skateboarding at the skate park. I have to wear a lid to compete with horses and I sometimes (not always) wear a lid on my bike. The ONLY time I have ever bashed my head was ogling the good looking gay guy while jogging though.

Pat "5mph" and coffeejo like this.
  3. coffeejo

coffeejo Ælfrēd

You know what UKIP would say about that, right?

4. Saluki

Saluki I've run away with my friends to..

Well, there was the campness to his voice and demeanor. The general flapping about with a lot of use in the Jazz Hands Department. Then there was the "Thank God you didn't need the kiss of life, I've never kissed a girl"

5. anothersam

anothersam SMIDSMe

You may have been discombobulated after your accident. Are you sure he didn't say "I'd never really kissed a girl... until I kissed you."

Saluki and srw like this.
  6. Licramite

Licramite Über Member

wearing a helmet when running is a pain as they bounce around on your head however hard you do the straps up.

running with a gas mask is even worse.

He doesn't sound gay to me, sounds more like the oldest sympathy chat up line in the world "Oh I've never kissed a girl" - probably hoping concussion would lower your resistance.

7. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

Boil in the bag technology :rolleyes:

8. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

@CopperCyclist's jogging side junction worries are precisely the reason I stay clear of pedalling on many bike paths. Also cycling close to the traffic speed it is actually safer (that's why there are joining slip roads for cars isn't it?). So 17mph in 25 mph traffic is darn safe methinks (when properly aware of suroundings of course).

9. Licramite

Licramite Über Member

17 - 25mph ! - oh I whish (unless its downhill) , the only time I'm matching traffic speeds is at a red light.

snorri likes this.
  10. SteveF

SteveF Über Member

For me I think it's about speed, I jog at a very sedate 6-7mph and cruise on a cycle (hybrid) at about 12-13mph. However going down hill my jogging doesn't get much faster but cycling certainly does.. so there must be an element of unconscious risk assessment going on as I do generally wear a helmet on a bike. Will a helmet protect me at 30mph if I hit a pothole and spill off the bike... don't know it's never happened and I hope it never does..

Wear a helmet or don't, it's entirely up to the individual...

11. SteveF

SteveF Über Member

As I said... entirely up to the individual

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice