Safety: Cycling versus jogging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
For safety's sake, until you can get one of these, I'd cut out the jogging...

Action-Cam-Jogging.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yesterday I went without my helmet for the 2nd time in 12 years . The first time I forgot it. The 2nd time was a conscious decision. It felt liberating.

When I got home today I bumped into my neighbour who was having kittens she saw me without my helmet yesterday. Haha. She got educated.
You don't say!
It's summer now (all 3 days of it) I went out helmet-less too.
One of my work colleagues (does not cycle) would have kittens too if she saw me: just as well our summer will end tomorrow ^_^

By wearing a helmet [because your better half said so] you are making a clear statement that cycling is dangerous and therefore possibly influencing the way the law views helmets. The more people ride without, the more the law is likely to disregard a helmet in any decision involving a cycling accident.
As an aside I was in Cambridge today [we used to live there] and I thought I would try and estimate the numbers wearing / not wearing a helmet. I suppose I saw upwards of 30 cyclists and the majority were bare headed, however compared with when we lived there 7 years ago many more are wearing helmets now and I completely fail to see why this should be so.

howard2107

I choose to wear a helmet, what is inside my head may not be much, and its function may come into question from time to time, but i don't really want it to get any worse.
I dont do running or jogging, i don't enjoy it, its bad for the joints, and i found it boring, but each to their own.

Cheers................Howard

Venod

Eh up
In my last post I deliberately avoided mentioning the helmet but the op did say "Why don't I stop when cycling". in regards to helmets,

If I am going out alone I will go helmet less preferring a cap buff or bare head depending on weather, if I go on a club run its a cub rule ( I don't agree with) that you wear a helmet, if I go with a fast group chain gang type ride (all helmets sunglasses & testosterone), I now wear a helmet as on the occasions I haven't I spend most of the ride explaining why I have left it at home, I know this is giving in to the pro lobby and I should persist with my educational talks but I have gone for a bike ride not to lecture, the best rides are were there is a mix of helmet and helmet less people who just want to ride and realise the helmet question is an individual choice.

The times I have fallen off and fallen over whilst running (quite a lot, I am old and been at it a long time) I would have have benefited from elbow knee & shoulder pads. the three times I have sustained serious head injury (all requiring stitches) I was not running or cycling, the best advice I can give is read all the pros & cons do your own risk assessment and wear or don't wear a helmet, but respect other peoples decisions either way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom