Safety: Cycling versus jogging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was a jogger for 25 years, got bitten in the nuts once but never fell on my head.

Someone will be along soon to tell you how they fell on their head whilst jogging.
I got hit by a low hanging branch and knocked myself out while jogging. My own fault for not paying attention on a new route. My excuse is there was quite a fit looking chap jogging on the other side of the road and I was looking over towards him instead of what was in front of me. He did come to my aid though, so a winning situation. Shame he was gay. For me I mean, not for him.
I still wouldn't consider wearing a lid while jogging, or for walking to the supermarket or anything else that doesn't involve a motorbike. I had to wear a lid while skateboarding at the skate park. I have to wear a lid to compete with horses and I sometimes (not always) wear a lid on my bike. The ONLY time I have ever bashed my head was ogling the good looking gay guy while jogging though.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I got hit by a low hanging branch and knocked myself out while jogging. My own fault for not paying attention on a new route. My excuse is there was quite a fit looking chap jogging on the other side of the road and I was looking over towards him instead of what was in front of me. He did come to my aid though, so a winning situation. Shame he was gay. For me I mean, not for him.
I still wouldn't consider wearing a lid while jogging, or for walking to the supermarket or anything else that doesn't involve a motorbike. I had to wear a lid while skateboarding at the skate park. I have to wear a lid to compete with horses and I sometimes (not always) wear a lid on my bike. The ONLY time I have ever bashed my head was ogling the good looking gay guy while jogging though.
You know what UKIP would say about that, right?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I am intrigued, how did it emerge in the course of that event that he was gay? It doesn't seem the most pressing issue at the time.
Well, there was the campness to his voice and demeanor. The general flapping about with a lot of use in the Jazz Hands Department. Then there was the "Thank God you didn't need the kiss of life, I've never kissed a girl"

Licramite

Über Member
wearing a helmet when running is a pain as they bounce around on your head however hard you do the straps up.

running with a gas mask is even worse.

He doesn't sound gay to me, sounds more like the oldest sympathy chat up line in the world "Oh I've never kissed a girl" - probably hoping concussion would lower your resistance.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
@CopperCyclist's jogging side junction worries are precisely the reason I stay clear of pedalling on many bike paths. Also cycling close to the traffic speed it is actually safer (that's why there are joining slip roads for cars isn't it?). So 17mph in 25 mph traffic is darn safe methinks (when properly aware of suroundings of course).

SteveF

For me I think it's about speed, I jog at a very sedate 6-7mph and cruise on a cycle (hybrid) at about 12-13mph. However going down hill my jogging doesn't get much faster but cycling certainly does.. so there must be an element of unconscious risk assessment going on as I do generally wear a helmet on a bike. Will a helmet protect me at 30mph if I hit a pothole and spill off the bike... don't know it's never happened and I hope it never does..

Wear a helmet or don't, it's entirely up to the individual...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom