Safety deposit box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
Hi all just received deeds of a house I recently purchased , question is what is the cheapest safest way of storing the deeds . I've never done this before so suggestions most welcome , TI

I seem to recall we were told that, since it is all recorded centrally at the Land Registry nowadays, the physical deeds no longer have the same importance and value as they once did.

Happy to be corrected

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My title deeds were "lost" in the safe keeping of a firm of lawyers. I had a bitter dispute about the amount they charged for a very simple change to a different property which was probably done by an unqualified clerk anyway. I decided I would rather have the deeds myself and requested them back. They claimed they could not find them but sent a very bad copy. It is all done electronically anyway nowadays so the paper can give all sorts of interesting history but not really needed.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Correct, @mistyoptic but keep any old unregistered deeds just in case there's a dispute over any boundaries or similar. Or at least keep scans !
+1 for LR registration.

Best keep the original certified copy at home- solicitors can and do lose files and security boxes cost too much and you risk not being able to get them without booking a slot in advance and the hassle of proving identity... + scans or photo-copies can be challenged as happened to a client of mine.

Top Bottom