Safety/Helmet Camera Recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noru

Yesterdays aggressive driving & punishment pass that not only just missed me but also forced on-coming cars to take evasive action of the idiot squeezing past me as I was in the primary position was the final straw.

I'm looking at getting safety cameras, so I can calmly report them to the police rather than just getting angry. It would also be extremely useful as evidence in case the worst was to happen and someone actually hits me / someone else nearby.

I've decided on a Cycliq Fly 6 ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycliq-fly6-integrated-rear-light-with-action-camera/ ) for the rear. I can't decide which forward facing helmet camera to get.

Any suggestions or experience from those with helmet cams would be excellent.

I hear GoPro's have the best video quality but as its an action camera doesn't record in small (10min) sections or overwrite old data once full, or am I reading old reviews?

I'd previously been looking at a BlackVue DR3500 for the car but I've decided a cycling helmet camera would be easy to swap between my bicycles, motorcycle & car. The main benefit for a wired-in in-car camera seems to be the added bonus of GPS recording.

Do any helmet cams have GPS (too much battery drain?) or would a GPS file from my Garmin 200 and a time stamped video do the same job as evidence?

Last edited:
You could try a Garmin Virb

Bulkier than the GoPro, but the switch is a lot easier , and has a "loop record" function, the older model can be picked up c £100

It does have a time stamp... and the software will allow you to link t a GPX track, but is reliant upon the accuracy at which the clocks are synced.

In most cases though if there is a prosecution Police will want the raw, unedited data, on the original disc. This prevents allegations that the video is edited, enhanced or does not show the true events

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I noticed that the instructions that came with the last helmet I bought (Specialized) said, in big letters, "do not attach anything (such as cameras or lights) to this helmet" ... Or words to that effect.

Just sayin'

crazyjoe101

Sorry to not be exactly helpful here with suggestions - but the term 'safety camera' caught my eye whilst browsing. I've never heard that term before and having used one fore years now I can say they have no positive affect on safety whilst riding except perhaps analysing mistakes you've made and learning from them, some even say they are a risk during a crash and can cause serious injury, death and all that good stuff.
What they are great for however, is evidence of an event should you be unfortunate enough to have something happen. Food for thought on mounting positions - in my opinion helmet mounting gives the best view of what's going on BUT it comes with a trade off of comfort, looks and faff of getting it well balanced and mounted.
More back to the OT, I run a ROAM 2 which does OK but these are quite outdated now. Take a look at some of the Ghost stuff, they make a small camera which might fit the bill for you.

I found it can make a big difference

I have far less problems with local taxis since they discovered I wear a helmet cam

Another case in point...... Approaching a junction and car indicating left pulls alongside and starts to overtake

Point to camera and magically the driver brakes, pulls in behind and forgets the left hook

crazyjoe101

I found it can make a big difference

I have far less problems with local taxis since they discovered I wear a helmet cam

Another case in point...... Approaching a junction and car indicating left pulls alongside and starts to overtake

Point to camera and magically the driver brakes, pulls in behind and forgets the left hook
I don't do a regular route at a regular time like a commuter would so I doubt I ever see the same driver twice so they won't get to know me. Maybe some drivers see the camera and think to behave themselves but I highly doubt it because I notice no difference with or without and I don't see why they'd be paying me that much attention.
I've never during a dodgy situation seen obtaining eye contact with a driver and pointing out my camera to be a prudent move; I normally focus on evading the danger and/or alerting or reminding the driver of my presence verbally so I can't comment on that score.

OP
OP
Noru

Noru

Thanks for all the replies.

I appreciate that helmet mounted camera comes with a risk but frankly the jagged air vents on my Kask helmet could also catch & twist my head in the event of falling off. If I was that worried about it I'd wear a smooth BMX style helmet. I'd considered mounting a camera on the handles bars but the view wouldn't be as useful.

Maybe they're not called safety cameras on bicycles but that's what we call them at work when hard wired into to the HGVs & vans. We've also windscreen mounted dash cams for company cars. They've proved quite useful, so fancy having one myself mainly for cycling / motorcycling.

I'll start looking into your suggestions today.

OP
OP
Noru

Noru

:okay:Thanks hadn't considered the impaling aspect of the mount, pretty poor product design if that's the case. But I will now definitely study the mount in my decision & mount if on the handlebars if it looks risky.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have an SJCam M10+ and 2x GoPro Hero4 Session - I like the smaller form factor of the Hero4 Session then the M10 so thats why i put on my helmet.

I used to have one attached to my seat rail to record whats going on behind me but thats not really possible without a different mount now as i have switched to commuting with an Carradice saddlebag

crazyjoe101

My Contour (complete will fluffy thing to block wind) is mounted squarely on the top of my helmet for maximum comic value; if it managed to impale itself into my skull from there during a bicycle crash then fair play to it. The bigger pain is getting it so that it doesn't produce a turning force when mounted, depending on your helmet this might not be possible without modifying the mount. There is nothing worse then weight pulling one way or another instead of sitting steady.

Last edited:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
:okay:Thanks hadn't considered the impaling aspect of the mount, pretty poor product design if that's the case. But I will now definitely study the mount in my decision & mount if on the handlebars if it looks risky.
Edited as I didn't read your post properly....

If it helps, I recorded my rides for around 3 years on a high def go pro, mounted in various places. It was plenty good enough to capture number plates, which seems to be to defining quality of a cycle head cams these days.

I stopped about 4 years ago, for my own reasons

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have an SJCam M10 mounted on the bars on an out-front mount.

I only bought a cheap camera as it might get bashed, and I didn't know how I would get on with it.

This is the sort of footage I get from it. It came with a case with both a waterproof and a non-waterproof back. The idea of the non-waterproof one is that it will capture sound, but I have not got the sound working well at all yet. Still, Police have reviewed footage in one incident and gone to have stern words of advice with the driver, so it has served its purpose.

For some reason the videos when uploaded to YT are far worse quality than when viewed on a PC from the camera or the downloaded files. Still images from the footage can be pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4LzIlb_nF3qoH9hoHWr8Ow

Top Bottom