Safety warnings added to traffic lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

andyfromotley said:
Not a problem i have encountered much tbh. Please dont stop trying to think of solutions to make motorists more mindful of cuclists though.

Indeed. That an idea doesn't immediately get support doesn't mean that throwing ideas into the pit for discussion is a bad thing! Keep at it, its well worthwhile!

domtyler

Über Member
Could you do something with giant metal spikes or high power laser beams perhaps?

OP
OP
R

richmoko

Rhythm Thief said:
It won't though, will it? All it will mean is that motorists will stop looking out for cyclists at any traffic light controlled junction which doesn't have these signs.

Rhythm Thief, you cannot be expected to be taken seriously when you post a stupid poem or lyrics of a song, which is totallly miss informed and unrelated to this matter. also the fact i'm an INNOVATION student means that the whole process of finding new a solution is to carry out research such as this thread.. thanks for the input.. it has being noted..

richmoko said:
Rhythm Thief, you cannot be expected to be taken seriously when you post a stupid poem or lyrics of a song, which is totallly miss informed and unrelated to this matter. also the fact i'm an INNOVATION student means that the whole process of finding new a solution is to carry out research such as this thread.. thanks for the input.. it has being noted..

Errr ... I presume you're talking about my signature, which appears on all my posts and changes regularly. Much as I'd like a signature that is relevant to absolutely every topic I got involved in, I fear that may be a little ambitious.
As for my comment ... apologies if it came across as overly critical of you personally, it wasn't meant to. But I do believe that innovations such as the one you're proposing, while they may appear a good idea on the face of it, ultimately merely encourage people to drive with yet another part of their brain disengaged.

OP
OP
R

richmoko

Rhythm Thief said:
Errr ... I presume you're talking about my signature, which appears on all my posts and changes regularly. Much as I'd like a signature that is relevant to absolutely every topic I got involved in, I fear that may be a little ambitious.
As for my comment ... apologies if it came across as overly critical of you personally, it wasn't meant to. But I do believe that innovations such as the one you're proposing, while they may appear a good idea on the face of it, ultimately merely encourage people to drive with yet another part of their brain disengaged.

Point taken and I can accept the criticism from a man with so much experience of the highways network.. your signature is a bit presumtuous though mate.. I study business and hate mainstream supermarkets, they're taking away local business from local traders all over the country and whether i'm a student or a manager I will always shop locally and cheaply.

richmoko said:
Point taken and I can accept the criticism from a man with so much experience of the highways network.. your signature is a bit presumtuous though mate.. I study business and hate mainstream supermarkets, they're taking away local business from local traders all over the country and whether i'm a student or a manager I will always shop locally and cheaply.

I quite agree, I shop locally and avoid supermarkets like the plague. See this Daily Mash article for the context of the quote.:blush:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The point you were making is that the cars are starting from standstill whilst the bike is already moving - in which case normally they could clear the junction before the motorist starts to make the turn (unless we are talking really big junctions). Even from stationary I normally aim to be quicker than a car for the first few metres and I'm a slow girl.

Surely if this was a problem at a particular junction the easiest solution would be to have a straight and left filter to begin with and then allow right turning traffic after a while (from one side).

Cab

richmoko said:
Product Innovation... To introduce new methods, ideas, processes, etc; to make changes... hopefully for the better treacle.. got it???..

No, not really. I'd have thought that a 'product innovator' is an 'inventor', and unless things have gone a bit odd I'm not aware of anywhere offering courses in 'inventorship'. What actually does a 'product innovation' student study?

OP
OP
R

richmoko

Cab said:
No, not really. I'd have thought that a 'product innovator' is an 'inventor', and unless things have gone a bit odd I'm not aware of anywhere offering courses in 'inventorship'. What actually does a 'product innovation' student study?

your obviously a much more intelligent person than i'll ever be pal.. because you ask reallllly smart questions and are always right!!! hmmmm..

Arch

Married to Night Train
richmoko said:
your obviously a much more intelligent person than i'll ever be pal.. because you ask reallllly smart questions and are always right!!! hmmmm..

Well, at least Cab has mastered basic English punctuation, spelling and typing...

I also think it isn't necessary to have an extra warning at lights, and would much prefer that people learn to use lights properly as they are. Now, if you could design some sort of Pavolian device to be fitted to cars (and bikes!) that adminsters an electric shock to anyone jumping a light....

Also, a cyclist, like any road user, has a certain responsibility to take care at junctions, and that includes looking out for idiots doing the wrong thing. There is a junction I use often where I get a right turn filter, but drivers frequently go through the lights to my left on amber and the early seconds of red. I've learned not to start off too quickly when I get the green, because I know there might be a car coming through blind. And I wouldn't filter down the lane fast and shoot out on the green, for the same reason.

Too much has been taken away in terms of drivers having to use their brains - automatic this and that. Make them THINK.

Norm

Arch said:
Now, if you could design some sort of Pavolian device to be fitted to cars (and bikes!) that adminsters an electric shock to anyone jumping a light....
<<snip>>
Too much has been taken away in terms of drivers having to use their brains - automatic this and that. Make them THINK.
Hmm... here's something to invent. Electric cattle prod in the seat base of every lorry, bus, car and bike, set to discharge when your vehicle gets within 1.5m of another vehicle either as vulnerable as you or more vulnerable.

Any HGV which gets within 1.5m of a car... zap

Any car gets within 1.5m of a bike... zap

Any bike gets within 1.5m of a pedestrian... zap

That might help focus the attention. :sad:

Top Bottom