Safety warnings added to traffic lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

richmoko said:
your obviously a much more intelligent person than i'll ever be pal.. because you ask reallllly smart questions and are always right!!! hmmmm..

Smarter than you? I dunno. The number of patents I've filed (you know, inventions, or in other words, innovations) is... Well, don't want to blow my own trumpet, but its more than a polo team, less than a rugby team. So, as someone without the benefit of an education in 'innovation', could you tell me what an innovation student studies, please? What such a thing is?

OP
OP
R

richmoko

is it just me or is everybody in cambridge as F**king bog headed as you.. don't know why, but ever person i've ever communicated with from cambridge are self righteous pompus pricks. I'm young and at university. My english is'nt perfect. Big deal. get a life lads.

gavintc

Guru
If I am honest, I think your proposal is ridiculous. A better solution would be to place more traffic light cameras at junctions to catch the red light jumpers. A sign warning of a cyclist would be completely ignored. Cyclists feature fairly far down the scale of things that drivers worry about. Secondly, coming on a forum, asking for information and comment and then being abusive is not terribly constructive.

However, my comments are based upon my opinions, you will have yours. You need to think up something for your degree. Good luck, but I do not think you will get much more help on here in the future. Lesson one in life; do not burn your bridges, you do not know when you might need them.

Moderators

Legendary Member
richmoko, you're being unnecessarily abrasive towards people who are entitled to express their opinions and are doing so politely and without calling you F**king bog headed, as you are calling them.

You're new to this forum so perhaps you aren't aware that this is a friendly place. Please tone it down a little and perhaps listen to some of the suggestions from other cyclists around here.

Mycroft

richmoko said:
is it just me or is everybody in cambridge as F**king bog headed as you.. don't know why, but ever person i've ever communicated with from cambridge are self righteous pompus pricks. I'm young and at university. My english is'nt perfect. Big deal. get a life lads.

so ??

its "clear" an innovation student doesn't study spelling grammar etc. nor manners either, pity as manners are so light and easily carried.

it must not have been very clear in the course introduction WHAT an innovation student is, because the question still hasn't been answered.

a few points "rich"

some times you have an idea, it might appear to have merit, but when you ask people close to and practised in the subject, but they reject the idea as "unworkable" maybe you should take the input as criticism of the IDEA and not personally.

you might learn from this, and learning has some bearing on education.

other wise you will find yourself in the position of saying too often for your own sanity "BUT THIS SHOULD WORK"

the more we aspire to make things idiot proof, the more the world seems to conspire to produce a better class of idiot.

-

so while most here would LIKE to have something that made travel through a junction safer/faster the practicality is that it would be unworkable.

trying to build a better mouse trap usually involves a more elaborately conceived mousetrap, but it is almost impossible to conceive of a SIMPLER mousetrap.

the simpler the roads (system) are to use the safer they will be as "almost any idiot can use them" finding a more involved warning system will only serve to add an extra layer of difficulty, and so confuse "the idiots" and confused road users does not increase road safety. no matter which "type" of road user.

the bottom line I would hazard to say that everyone would agree with for safety on the road is that of caution and reduced speed when in doubt.

from your diagram I see what you are trying to achieve, however i feel your approach is wrong. an individual on the road is responsible for their own safety, more so on a bike, that entails looking out for potential hazards on the road, and in the diagram the potential hazard is a car turning right when the driver doesn't see the cyclist who is far enough back as to be out of sight of said driver.

but the cyclist is responsible for their OWN safety, 1st rule of cycling on the road IMO, so if they have to brake, they have to brake.

travelling by bike does not entitle one to a free pass at never breaking for safety and self preservation. bicycles ARE traffic, and so must obey the road laws FOR TRAFFIC.

you seem to be wanting to find a SOLUTION to SELL. as in your reference to "business proposal", perhaps if you were not seeing this as something lucrative to sell, and letting that blind you to the workability of the finished idea in practice, you might be more open to the road using cyclists (whose advice YOU sought out) dismissal as constructive advice.

don't ask for advice and then ignore it, like a driver at a traffic light.

in short, the idea is too involved and ignores existing laws and responsibilities.

what you should be taking away from this is "try a different approach"

be that to the problem, or your course deadline :smile:

I think personally, going on the advice on this thread, I would be asking myself

"IS there an actual problem here that isn't resolved with a dash more caution and perhaps a bit less speed?"

-

and may I add my voice of encouragement that you keep trying to find ways to solve road safety issues, that on its own seems innovative.

Cab

richmoko said:

Richmoko, before I can give you reasonable comments on what kind of area you should be looking at to create an innovative product for cyclists (or a solution to problems cyclists face), I need to know about your knowledge base. I need to know what an 'innovation' student is before I can say 'no, thats not what we need, but I think you could give us...'.

You're dealing with intelligent, reasonable, and actually quite inventive people here. And I strongly suspect you just blew any chance of 95% of them ever taking you seriously. But, still, here goes...

Whats an 'innovation' student? Are you marketing? Are you an engineer? What the heck are you all about? What I'd suggest, say, a chemical engineer should concentrate on is not what I'd say to a business student.

And if you're interested, I've patented technology on optical engineering, among other things.

Top Bottom