SAFETY: Why do Road cyclists avoid Full face helmets like the plague?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ushills

Veteran
You don't have to expect it though. You don't teleport into the ground or the wall, so there is pretty much always going to be time for your reflexes to work, even if that's in the brief moment that you're flying off your bike towards the ground.
Have you experience to substantiate your comment that there will pretty much always time for your reflexes to work. I have direct experience to the contrary and have been cycling including racing for a very long time. To think you will always be able to brace for impact or take actions to protect yourself is very misguided in general amongst most people. This goes someway to explain risk taking in life in general the misguided feeling of invulnerability.
I have had two occasions where my life nearly ended, once on a bike once not and neither time did I have time to do anything. The times I've had accidents before the outcome has never been as bad because I did have some warning, the unexpected collisions are the once that are usually final/fatal.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
This goes someway to explain risk taking in life in general the misguided feeling of invulnerability.
In my experience (and IIRC in much academic research) in general people have a misguided feeling about risk in general, sometimes feeling invulnerable when they should feel vulnerable, but as often feeling vulnerable when they should feel very safe.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Have you experience to substantiate your comment that there will pretty much always time for your reflexes to work. I have direct experience to the contrary and have been cycling including racing for a very long time. To think you will always be able to brace for impact or take actions to protect yourself is very misguided in general amongst most people. This goes someway to explain risk taking in life in general the misguided feeling of invulnerability.
I have had two occasions where my life nearly ended, once on a bike once not and neither time did I have time to do anything. The times I've had accidents before the outcome has never been as bad because I did have some warning, the unexpected collisions are the once that are usually final/fatal.
I think that's right. I've crashed a few times, and not known anything about it until I hit the road/taxi/van/car

classic33

Leg End Member
because i don't want a twot in a car thinking they can drive faster and closer to me than they should. as you will be aware builders helmets are PPE - the last line of defence. the hazards should be removed before PPE is used . i.e. educate drivers about leaving room and looking. and yes cyclists are not blameless
Isn't a cycling helmet, whatever type, PPE(Personal Protection Equipment).

snorri

Legendary Member
Isn't a cycling helmet, whatever type, PPE(Personal Protection Equipment).
Not within the usual definition of PPE in industry.
PPE usually refers to items worn by employees at work and as such must comply with a European Directive which calls for certain requirements. Presently available cycle helmets are unlikely to be compliant with the Directive.

subaqua

What’s the point
theoretically - yes . but it should be a last line of defence.

eg rather than wearing a dust mask to prevent inhalation of dust use dust extraction or water damping to prevent dust.

remove the hazard.

in a cycling situation that means better training for drivers from the moment they start to learn and continuing education. rather than points and a fine issue points a larger fine and educate the driver .

Not within the usual definition of PPE in industry.
PPE usually refers to items worn by employees at work and as such must comply with a European Directive which calls for certain requirements. Presently available cycle helmets are unlikely to be compliant with the Directive.

Specifically not....
A few years ago when the Post office brought in helmets the HSE steadied unequivocally the cycle helmets were not PPE

That is why they had to bring them in under uniform regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom