SAFETY: Why do Road cyclists avoid Full face helmets like the plague?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
because i don't want a twot in a car thinking they can drive faster and closer to me than they should. as you will be aware builders helmets are PPE - the last line of defence. the hazards should be removed before PPE is used . i.e. educate drivers about leaving room and looking. and yes cyclists are not blameless

OP
OP
Dajoker188

Dajoker188

because i don't want a twot in a car thinking they can drive faster and closer to me than they should. as you will be aware builders helmets are PPE - the last line of defence. the hazards should be removed before PPE is used . i.e. educate drivers about leaving room and looking. and yes cyclists are not blameless
I agree, most of the motorist i have come across are fairly sensible and leave plenty of room but there are a still a huge number of drivers with driving skills which leave a lot to be desired! Had a driver try to overtake me then take the first left exit eventhough i was ahead of him. He nearly knocked me over and all he could say was sorry...If you know it is wrong and dangerous then why do it?

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
People will argue that full face helmets impede your field of view, are hot and heavy. But most have yet to test some of the modern day full face helmets which i have used. The don't impede your field of view much at all and are very breathable and only marginally heavier than your typical road helmet. But i agree that verbal communication isn't too great ina full face helmet but who would you be talking whilst at the same time riding?

"Much at all", is means they do
"very breathable" does not equal completely
""maginally heavier means heavier, means more mass for the helmet to absorb, but built to the same ( minimal) standard .
You ignored "They would reduce my ability to ... hear..." a very valid complaint for a cyclist.

You asked for a reason, got three , tried to downplay them whilst not answering or accepting them.

OP
OP
Dajoker188

Dajoker188

"Much at all", is means they do
"very breathable" does not equal completely
""maginally heavier means heavier, means more mass for the helmet to absorb, but built to the same ( minimal) standard .
You ignored "They would reduce my ability to ... hear..." a very valid complaint for a cyclist.

You asked for a reason, got three , tried to downplay them whilst not answering or accepting them.
I do accept them. But even if manufacturers were to completely iron out these issues. Would you wear one?

400bhp

Guru
I I have done a fair bit of down hill mountain biking in the past and it is widely accepted that riding down hill without a full face helmet is quick way to lose your life, teeth and looks :biggrin: due to the increased risk of having a crash in comparison to road biking.

However on a road biking the likelyhood to having a more serious crash is vastly increased due most of us travel just marginally slower than most cars.

I don't understand your logic here.

You are saying that (relative to road cycling) there is a greater chance of having a crash on a mountain bike off road, but the severity of a serious injury is lower than riding on the road?

If that' the case then surely a full face helmet off-road isn't needed is it?

I would imagine there is a greater risk of a dismount (important terminology here, not necessarily an accident) on a mountain bike and a higher chance of facial damage too (generally more sticky out bits around so more chance of hitting your face). That's why peeps wear full face helmets on mountain bikes.

subaqua

What’s the point
2276583 said:
Answer a question in return. Would my wearing a full face helmet on the road give observers drivers the impression that cycling is a relatively safe activity or a relatively dangerous one cyclists are really well protected so we don't need to take care near them?

is the question that should be answered.
I smell a sockpuppet.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I quite often see people wearing them, usually on their way back from the downhill trails in the woods I guess, doesn't bother me. :smile:

The way I see it is you've got to draw the line somewhere, or you'll need to wear full MTB Body armour, motorbike leathers etc. and arguably start wearing protective gear for most other activities.

Also, with downhill and jumping off drops, isn't there a fairly high chance of faceplanting the handlebars or perhaps taking part of a tree to the face? :smile:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I could see a benefit :laugh:

I was once asked when attempting to pay for petrol(2004 Yamaha Fazer at the time) to remove my helmet, they changed their mind when I said "If you're refusing my money I'll just walk away" I had the exact amount in hard cash.

So if a cyclist was to wear a full-face (they're often an ugly bunch;)) and a garage/shop refused to accept payment for my mid-ride coffee and flapjack.

Win win?

Disclaimer: Post not serious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom