Sake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
U

User169

I know you never like to pass up an opportunity to patronise us mere mortals, but if you re-read my post you'll note I made no comment about the taste of sake.

I think FM meant to refer back to Reg' post.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I know you never like to pass up an opportunity to patronise us mere mortals, but if you re-read my post you'll note I made no comment about the taste of sake.

DP is right, it was Reg I was supposed to be replying too. And in any case, I can't see what you found patronising about my post... I was trying to get across the joy of sake.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I was given a bottle once, and me and a friend drank half of it one night. The other half stayed on the shelves for 11 years before I binned it :smile:

U

User482

DP is right, it was Reg I was supposed to be replying too. And in any case, I can't see what you found patronising about my post... I was trying to get across the joy of sake.
It is possible to dislike a drink without it being evidence of intellectual inferiority.

Things I learnt in a long ago trip to Japan...
yeah, they don't drink sake warm, that's for poor quality sake. Doing that would be like going to a Scottish distillery and mixing it with coke.

I several times drank it in large gatherings, served in a wooden box (thank you google http://www.japanesestyle.com/sites/default/files/wooden_sake_cups.jpg). The equivalent of popping a cork is smashing the lid of a barrel with hammers.

One of the reasons we drink vintage champagne is that it's expensive. Sake doesn't age, so there is a limit to how expensive it can be. When people want to celebrate something extravagantly, they use sake with gold leaf in it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I do a lot of work with a very large Japanese company so have been subjected to a lot of sake. My random knowledge on the subject is:

The stuff I've tasted in Japan and japanese restaurants in Vietnam is much better than the bottle we celebrated winning the Varsity Judo match back in 1990 which was from oddbins and rough as, although I'm not sure we chilled it which could have been a mistake. Luke warm Sake is not recommended.

Contrary to jefmcg i have been served both warm and cold sake in Japan, the stuff meant to be served warm is brewed slightly sweeter but isn'tt inferior, although I personally prefer the cold stuff.

I too have had the stuff with gold leaf in it, wonderfully decadent.

You can also get white Sake, which is unfiltered so has all the rice mulch in it , hence the White colour. Again a bit sweeter, and not as good to my palate as the cold dryer stuff.

Agree with jefmcg, the pouting it into and overflowing a wooden box is quite a cute ritual.

I have a sodding great bottle of it at home 1.8 litres I think which I'm waiting for the right occasion and company to crack open.

Last edited:
Top Bottom