Sally the Raleigh.........Diary of a Restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
Frame now in the very capable hands of Dave Yates, damage to chainstays not terminal and doesn't weaken the frame so cosmetic repair will suffice. My guesstimate on time was spot on, they'll both be ready by the end of Feb, so final build will be early March. :wahhey:

Suppose i better start a thread on the Dawes as both builds are running side by side now,

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

The wait is over.....I pick her up from Dave Yates tomorrow morning, everything is ready.....i hope......should get her re-built by next weekend. Really looking forward to putting in some miles on the tarmac.......pics to follow...of course :biggrin:

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Here's a few pics of the restored frame prior to starting the build.

IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0016.JPG IMG_0021.JPG

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Love the chrome work. Any brief tips on how to get my stem like that???

Here's where i divulge my secret ^_^........My Saturday evenings in the winter are often spent in the Garage with a bottle of wine, Craig Charles Soul & Funk Show on BBC R6, a good stock of polishing pads for the Dremel, and a tube of Solvol Autosol. The rest is just patience.

Just make sure you have scruffy work gear on and some swarfega to clean yourself up afterwards, cos it gets messy......My top tip...don't do this indoors....SWMBO will get upset :laugh:

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Build time has finally arrived, had a great day building both Sally and the Dawes, am going to try and get my mate to come and take some arty pics soon (i'm so crap with a camera!)

IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG

Only problem......I now have not one, but two leather saddles to break in.........guess i'm going to have sore sitbones for a couple of months :-)

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Really nice. Any reason you chose a biopace??

None really, the frame is an 87' model which would have had Sachs Huret drive gear on as original, but that stuff was quite good at breaking down so went for the 89' spec drivetrain, which was Shimano Deore DX derailleurs and a Biopace Crankset, so just sticking with period correct parts.

Psyclist

Über Member
None really, the frame is an 87' model which would have had Sachs Huret drive gear on as original, but that stuff was quite good at breaking down so went for the 89' spec drivetrain, which was Shimano Deore DX derailleurs and a Biopace Crankset, so just sticking with period correct parts.

I heard the biopace can be harsh on the legs, but you get more man points.

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

I heard the biopace can be harsh on the legs, but you get more man points.

Hope not...I'm taking her out for the first ride tomorrow....looking to do about 30-40 miles.........with a new Brooks saddle to break in......so sore sitbones and legs for me on Saturday then......i'll look forward to that..NOT......think a bottle of Rioja may be on the cards for tomorrow night....purely for medicinal purposes, of course! ^_^

Top Bottom