Sally the Raleigh.........Diary of a Restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
it certainly did the job, might have a go with mine if i get time.

cheers

try it, it's a great way to pass a couple of hours while the SO watches Emmercorrienders :thumbsup:

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Me too :laugh:, have the itch now........99% of parts acquired, front mech has arrived from USA.....still sealed in original Shimano packaging....slight problem, band size 31.8 (was advertised as 28.6) but have shims that should sort the problem temporarily (planning to have a boss brazed on, the FD can be either band on or braze on).

Hoping to do a full build this weekend to see how she looks, maybe do a short 20k ride too, then strip her down again and off to Mr Yates for remedial work and respray.

PS How expensive are polishing felts???....have just spent £20 restocking my Dremmel kit with 100 polishing felts....Ouch:excl:

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Was giong to start the build on Saturday, but the weather turned out quite nice, so went for a 40k ride instead. :bicycle:^_^
Did manager to get her built up on Sunday though. One or two little hiccups! Getting the front changer position right was a task due to the biopace chainrings and setting up canti brakes is an absolute pain, think i need a third hand tool!
Very happy with the results (pics to follow as soon as we get some bright daylight!)

Tonight's job has been both hubs stripped, cleaned, re-greased and re-assembled, internally the hubs look good and now spin silently too.....not that there was much noise before the service.

IMAG0338.jpg IMAG0339.jpg IMAG0348.jpg IMAG0350.jpg IMAG0351.jpg IMAG0354.jpg IMAG0356.jpg IMAG0358.jpg IMAG0360.jpg IMAG0365.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Very good.

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Apologies for lack of recent updates guys, yet another redundancy (3rd in 2 years) brought restoration to a standstill due to lack of funds. Current job seems stable though so still hoping to get her finished by the spring. Took her out for a couple of rides last summer, a pure pleasure to ride some proper steel again after all these years. My rear end doesn't get on with the Brooks Saddle though so may have to swap the B17 for a different model or dare i say it something modern...hope not!!

Anyway heres a pic of Sally in her current build....hoping to get her off to Dave Yates early in the new year for the framework and respray. Fingers crossed :-)

IMAG0541 - Low Res.jpg

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

looks great , i still curse myself for not buying a Randoneur a few months ago :sad:

Keep your eye on gumtree, they often crop up on there at reasonable prices. 23" & 25" frame size more common than 21"
Average price seems to £150 for a rough one, £200 - £300 for a reasonable one, £400+ for pristine condition.

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Merry Christmas to you all.
On the home straight with this one now, just spent 3 hours polishing and fitting a few new parts, bought pannier racks ready for the final build. (Pics tomorrow time permitting:-)
She'll be going in for frame remedial work, respray and new livery early in the new year which should take 3-4 weeks........so i'm hoping to have her all built up and gleaming by the time the clocks go forward.
As an aside, i just bought a crash damaged donor bike off ebay purely for the Mavic rims onboard. Got a nice surprise when i picked the bike up, the damage wasn't half as bad as i expected and it's a mid 80's 531c handbuilt Dawes frame.......BONUS.......so this could possibly turn into my next project........watch this space :-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
davester65

davester65

It's time to part with some of my hard earned cash....:surrender:

Taking the fame down to Dave Yates in Lincolnshire on Monday armed with a new headset, an odd front derailleur and a full set of period correct decals from Nick @ H Lloyd, so all being well should have the frame back by end of Feb..ish looking all beautiful.

Have spent the last week or so hunting down the final parts needed gone for Panaracer Pasela 700x32 Amberwall Tyres and Giles Berthaud Bar Ends

BTGBLMBEP_P1.jpg pcpt72-1.jpg

So barring any bad news from Mr Yates on Monday will be posting pics of the final build asap.

Top Bottom