Sally the Raleigh.........Diary of a Restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobcat

I have, in the past used Sach Huret derailleurs and can vouch, they are not good. Go Deore!

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
I have, in the past used Sach Huret derailleurs and can vouch, they are not good. Go Deore!

Thanks bobcat, was pretty sure that what they told me wasn't sales patter.....you've just confirmed it :thanks:

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Shiny stuff ordered ( NOS 600 Brake Levers, Blackburn Bottle Cages, NOS DX Rear Derailleur) hopefully delivered tomorrow...pics up soon, also found NOS Front Changer in USA (very cheap:bravo: ordered, expecting delivery in a couple of weeks)

Two questions for you tonight guys:

Definitely going with a new Brooks Saddle, been studying the Brooks site.......can't decide........B17 standard or B17 Narrow.......your experiences please guys.

Found a 600 headset NOS, seen pics, IMMACULATE, never been fitted to a bike........but it's £65....Buy it? Yes or No?

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

PS.

Dilemma re headset is Sally was originally fitted with a Tange Levin......can still get them brand new for £25, but got a Shimano 600 theme going on.....hubs, shifters, brake levers....and maybe headset?

Falwheeler

The saddle has to be a personal choice, are you a big lad, or perhaps a bit leaner. My slightly newer Randnonneur came with a Brooks Professional in brown, looked fantastic but never ever softened and is still to this day rock hard

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

The 87 model had a Brooks Pro too, have read that they stay hard......not good for Audax riding, which is my intention, so it's either a B17 or a B17 Narrow, both of which will soften up and be comfortable over long distance, aesthetically i prefer the B17 Narrow, was just wondering if anyone here has experience of these saddles?
Size wise i'm not huge but not skinny either, bout 5'9" and 14 stone, i would call that medium build...apparently clothing manufacturers call that XL ^_^

PS...Think i'm going for the Honey coloured saddle with matching bar tape.

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Been shopping again this weekend........gone for a pristine Shimano 600 headset £65 :whistle:
Also hunted down an authentic Biopace 28-38-48 crankset in excellent condition...bargain at £28.50

One disaster to report, found out the seat stem is not long enough for my riding position and you just can't get hold of 300mm seatposts from that era (don't think they made them that long) so will probably have to go for a repro seatpost, this looks okay to me, what do you think?

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/nittos65.html

Falwheeler

That's a lovely seat post. I ride Brooks saddles on all of my bikes, I am a bit taller and a bit heavier than you and ride b17 standards, a b17 special on my Secteur Elite

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Shiny Stuff has started to arrive ^_^

IMAG0288.jpg IMAG0290.jpg IMAG0296.jpg IMAG0298.jpg IMAG0300.jpg

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

More shiny stuff arrived, just waiting for the front mech now.
I'm hoping to do a full build before i take her for repairs and paintwork, to make sure everything fits together ok and see how she will look when complete.

IMAG0319.jpg IMAG0324.jpg IMAG0326.jpg

Top Bottom