salt and sweat and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Dave5N said:
No you don't. You're just attention-seeking again. If you wanted to understand the physiology you'd google it or, better still, ask your doctor. Not ask on a cycling website.

so you don't know.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Apparently Magnesium is one of the things most significantly lost in sweated salts.

Mr Pig

Apparently your body stores salt all over the place. It's toxic and the body tries to get rid of it as best it can. When you stop eating salt your body twigs and tries to dump all of the salt it has stored away, it takes about six months to get rid of it all.

Years ago we were on a very strict vegi diet, no animal produce or anything. Felt rather odd at first, didn't feel very well, but after a while we felt great. One thing I noticed was that my pee was clear! The body has less junk to try and get rid of if you put less in. Garbage in, garbage out.

bonj2

Mr Pig said:
Apparently your body stores salt all over the place. It's toxic and the body tries to get rid of it as best it can. When you stop eating salt your body twigs and tries to dump all of the salt it has stored away, it takes about six months to get rid of it all.

Years ago we were on a very strict vegi diet, no animal produce or anything. Felt rather odd at first, didn't feel very well, but after a while we felt great. One thing I noticed was that my pee was clear! The body has less junk to try and get rid of if you put less in. Garbage in, garbage out.

so can you survive then without any salt whatsoever?
Would this not render your kidneys completely redundant and you could do away with them to save weight/raise money?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
It's generally reckoned that the amount of salt you need to survive is present in everyday, fresh food. If you do lots of exercise and so lose salts excessively then you probably need to take supplements e.g. something to top up magnesium levels. Almost anything that is absolutely vital for survival is toxic when taken in excess (too much water can kill you). I seem to remember hearing that vitamin C is one of the few exceptions to this with some scientists claiming that there is no known upper limit.

We could probably do with an expert at this point. (As you were, Bonjy!)

Top Bottom