San Marco Rolls saddle or a Brooks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I have ordered a new bike, a Dawes century SE. Looking at the saddle I think I will be changing it almost straight away. Now do I go for a San Marco Rolls or a Brooks? The San Marco is £34.99. I don't like the look of the B17 so if I did go for a brooks it would probably be a Team Pro or a Swift, but these are over twice the price of the rolls. I have a San Marco Concor on another bike and I fine that very comfy.
Thoughts?

aberal

Guru
I've never tried the San Marco so maybe shouldn't comment, other than I've had a Brooks Pro for around 15 years using it on and off and it's the only saddle I've ever had that has ever been comfortable. I agree with you about the looks of the B17 - I personally really don't like them at all. To my eye they look ridiculously old fashioned. The Team Pro looks much more modern and the Swift more so.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Rolls is pretty darn good - had one for years until it got trashed in an accident a couple of years ago. Fairly heavy though (in comparison to 200g Ti railed saddles).

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Bearing in mind all bums are of different shapes, I found the Rolls excruciating. A surgeon could have performed unspeakable operations upon my dangly bits and I would have felt nothing after ten miles. The Brooks B17 I found supremely comfortable for sixty miles or more, but heck, I did find constantly having to push myself back on the saddle more than a little wearing. I was sad to remove the B17 because it almost became a friend. However, since then I have changed to a Charge Spoon. The equal of the Brooks for comfort, but no sliding forward. Bliss!

Garz

Squat Member
I have the Rolls on at the moment but courtesy of these forums have just purchased a B17 to try instead as I'm finding the Rolls uncomfortable. My generic boardman saddle I found comfier on my other road bike so for me the Rolls didn't quite hit the heights I expected it to reach

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I had a Rolls that came on a used Spesh Allez, didn't like it that much, found the Charge Spoon much better.

Get a brown Charge Spoon with Ti rails

Attachments

• chaspoonsadb.jpg
    chaspoonsadb.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 308

rb58

Enigma
I've been on a Rolls for a couple of years and found it very comfortable indeed. However, a new bike gave me the opportunity to try the B17. So far, and I've only done about 250 miles on it, I'm not finding it at all comfortable, although today's commute was less uncomfortable than it has been to date so maybe it's beginning to break in. I also find it irritating that I keep sliding forward (as mentioned above), even though the saddle is level and everyone agrees 'nose up' is not a good idea for Brooks saddles. I'm going to give it a few more weeks - some say it can be up to a 1,000 miles before a B17 becomes comfortable - but I'm already thinking about getting a Rolls with titanium rails, or trying a Charge Spoon, which quite a few rate highly.

Having said all that, your choice of saddle is an extermely personal thing and recommendations around comfort levels are only relevant if you have same shaped bum as the person recommending it.

So, I'm not saying the Brooks isn't a good saddle - obviously it is - but I'm not sure I have a Brooks shaped bum.

Davidc

Guru
Depends on your bottom - they're all different! (to judge by this forum)

I found the San marco Rolls the most uncomfortable seat ever. A sharp spike would have been better.

I have always found the B17 totally comfortable, from start to finish. I can ride on one for 12+ hours, day after day.

Other people find the opposite.

I am trying a Charge Spoon on the utility bike, and so far have found it the only acceptably comfortable saddle other than a B17 that I've ridden in the past 40+ years.

I don't do much (or indeed, any) cycling these days, but back in the day when I was commuting 50 miles a day and doing Audaxes at the weekends, I used either a Rolls or a B17 depending on which bike I was riding. This is going to be no help at all, but I found both to be very comfortable saddles indeed. The Brooks probably had the edge when touring or Audaxing, but it was a close run thing.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I like my B17N, but bought it from someone who just couldn't get on with it (Crackle, of this parish).

It really is a very individual thing. I really like having the bag loops too, as I use a Carradice for my commuting stuff.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Comfort-wise for me depends on the Brooks model too. My Team Pro Classic is not uncomfortable but needed work to break it in, the B15 Swallow I bought from User1314 was really comfy from the outset - looks great on a race bike too! :becool:

Dunno about the San Marco, never tried one...

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've had a Concor and I moved to the B17 Narrow and I've found it very comfortable. It looks a little less old fashioned than the plain B17.

I find that I move about quite a bit on any saddle so the sliding forward on the B17N doesn't bother me too much, if anything the leather helps with sliding rather than having to lift off the saddle and move.

As others have said though, saddles are very personal things. You need to pick the one that's right for you.

Top Bottom