San Marco Rolls saddle or a Brooks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
I've been on a Rolls for a couple of years and found it very comfortable indeed. However, a new bike gave me the opportunity to try the B17. So far, and I've only done about 250 miles on it, I'm not finding it at all comfortable, although today's commute was less uncomfortable than it has been to date so maybe it's beginning to break in. I also find it irritating that I keep sliding forward (as mentioned above), even though the saddle is level and everyone agrees 'nose up' is not a good idea for Brooks saddles. I'm going to give it a few more weeks - some say it can be up to a 1,000 miles before a B17 becomes comfortable - but I'm already thinking about getting a Rolls with titanium rails, or trying a Charge Spoon, which quite a few rate highly.

Having said all that, your choice of saddle is an extermely personal thing and recommendations around comfort levels are only relevant if you have same shaped bum as the person recommending it.

So, I'm not saying the Brooks isn't a good saddle - obviously it is - but I'm not sure I have a Brooks shaped bum.

I've read, probably in this forum or bikeradar that the opposite to what you stated is fine. I have the Team Pro, B17 and B67 and they are all with the nose up. Some more than others.

I have never used a San Marco but I'd say you have to match the position on your bike to the saddle. If you like a more upright position then the Team Pro would be better than the other you mentioned but my choice would be a b17 in that case.

aberal

Guru
All saddles are designed to be set absolutely level. Not nose up or nose down, but level.

martint235

Dog on a bike
All saddles are designed to be set absolutely level. Not nose up or nose down, but level.

Probably true but until I got my Brooks, I always felt more comfortable with a slight nose up tilt to my saddle. With the Brooks however this really doesn't work for me and is very uncomfortable so I have it level. However my mtb which has my concor saddle on it now, still has the slight nose up to make it comfy.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think the usual Brooks lore is that the nose up a "smidge" (that's an imperial smidge, not a metric smidge, btw) is the right way.

yello

I think the usual Brooks lore is that the nose up a "smidge" (that's an imperial smidge, not a metric smidge, btw) is the right way.

It's how I have mine. Primarily - and certainly initially - to stop the sliding forward that can happen on a Brooks.

Re the San Marco Rolls v Brooks (in my case, B17N Imperial); I had a Rolls for many many kilometres... then I did the Fenlands Flight 200 in 2007. My backside was so numb that I promised myself another saddle. I initially went for a Spec Avatar Gel before treating myself to a Brooks after LEL in 2009. 7000km later (a quiet year last year!) I can vouch for the comfort of a Brooks. They ARE more expensive, it's true, but I reckon if you've got a Brooks shaped bum and are intending to do longer rides that they are worth the investment.

But, tbh, I found the Rolls comfortable all but for that long and, to be fair, mainly seated Fenland audax. At £35, a Rolls is worth a punt and may work for you.

Equally, if you fork out for a Brooks and don't get on with it then they are pretty easy to sell on.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Brooks saddles were designed? Surely not. John Brooks just flagged down a passing blacksmith and said "make us a saddle will you mate?" surely.

snailracer

Über Member
I think the slipperiness of the Brooks partly explains it's comfort - it does not drag the skin. The downside is that the saddle angle setting becomes critical to avoid sliding forward (or back) but this is also affected by seat tube angle. I suspect seat tube angles were slacker in the past, so the Brooks would have shown less tendency to slide the rider forward.

Top Bottom