Santander Bikes in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm travelling through London tomorrow and am not keen to go on the tube, given the pandemic. I need to get from Paddington to Kings Cross and was thinking about taking a Santander bike. I've plotted the route and am pretty comfy with it. Any thoughts on how long it would take and any hints and tips for Santander bikes?

vickster

Legendary Member
What time of day? Although that said rush hours are nothing like they were in terms of demand.

info here https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/santander-cycles

tfl reckons around 20 mins from Paddington to KGX at a moderate pace on a Boris bike
https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/r...iModalCall=false&isEarlierLaterAjaxCall=false

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It would be late morning so rush hour will be over. I've just set the app up and I THINK it's all set with my card details etc.

I have 90 mins to do the trip so in principle, assuming there are bikes at the docking station, it SHOULD be fine. You just never know.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They are heavy old beasts, and low geared, but cruise fine once you get them rolling.

Don't ride down the Euston road (A501) :okay: pick a parallel road to the south. A couple have dedicated segregated cycle routes on them - google street view is your friend to route plan!

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
They are heavy old beasts, and low geared, but cruise fine once you get them rolling.

Don't ride down the Euston road (A501) :okay: pick a parallel road to the south. A couple have dedicated segregated cycle routes on them - google street view is your friend to route plan!
Thanks. That's what i've done - planned it out then done it on streetview every day this week so I know it by heart. I'm a bit excited. Haven't ridden in London since I was young and cute!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks. That's what i've done - planned it out then done it on streetview every day this week so I know it by heart. I'm a bit excited. Haven't ridden in London since I was young and cute!
I used to do the London commute every day, it was a nice way to bookend the day, particularly riding up the Mall towards Buck house of a morning etc. In lockdown 1 we took the bikes in and did a friday night around the city and west end ride on virtually empty roads, which was a great experience. Enjoy!

vickster

Legendary Member
It should be a broadly flat route. Not one I know but if you get taken into one of the parks? Be aware that some paths are closed to cycles

i think BBs are free for 30 mins if you put the hammer down :biggrin:

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive done it a few times on foot. Its about 2.5 miles, barely half an hour to walk if you crack on, hardly worth putting any money in Ant and Dec's pocket.

Ive done it a few times on foot. Its about 2.5 miles, barely half an hour to walk if you crack on, hardly worth putting any money in Ant and Dec's pocket.

That is a heck of a pace - especially for London with crossing roads and people in the way. I'm sure it is a fair bit longer to walk than that.

Reactions: C R

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It is, I believe £2 for the day and free for any amount of hires of 30 minutes or less,then £2 per ½ hour (I think)
With the app, find where you want to hire from and book it. You get a code via text to unlock it and off you go.
To finish the hire, just slam/push the bike into a docking station.

Drago

Legendary Member
That is a heck of a pace - especially for London with crossing roads and people in the way. I'm sure it is a fair bit longer to walk than that.
Its a brisk walk, most of it along the Euston Road which it a pretty straight slog and not terribly busy woth pedestrians. Its a mile or so out of any part of the centre that gets chocks with peds.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I rarely cycle in London and I don't know anything about the hire bikes (I keep meaning to figure them out but have never got round to it) But if I was walking it I'd drop South of the Euston Rd and wiggle through the London University area, Fitzrovia, cross Portland Place, and pop out on the Edgware Rd slightly S of Paddington then wiggle up to Paddington via the Sussex Gdns area.

Sorry I don't know road names, as I just follow my nose and navigate from memory. Tavistock Sq and New Cavendish St being two things that pop to mind.

If I was in a hurry I might walk straight down the Euston Rd, but that's a crap walk and, I imagine, a much crapper cycle. If I was in a massive hurry and jogged rather than walking I might just match @Drago 's 30 mins, but I doubt it. It's an hour's saunter including some slack at each end.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Frustrated - my train got cancelled this morning so I'm going to have to drive instead. The alternative involved several changes and a convoluted journey. Disappointed not to be doing my trans-London trip which I was all prepared for and excited about but also really frustrated at the state of public transport in this country!

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s pretty rainy in London so it may be a blessing in disguise.
Nothing to stop you coming again, cycling is pleasant on a sunny Sunday. Might even be a CC London ride to join :smile:

Top Bottom