Santander (or Bilbao) to A Coruna - Northern Spain touring.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Whereas taking a ferry for three quarters of the trip.......... :smile:

:rolleyes:

I'd love to have the time to go both ways... At least the ferry is suitable penance for my laziness.

And I think lighter on the carbon load??

Which maps did you use @HobbesOnTour ? Have found Spanish mapping a bit hit and miss in the past - but i guess that has been more for mountain walking - a road on a map should exist - one would hope --- not always the case with a path .

I just picked up a map in Santiago. Used it to explore the west & northern coasts. Up to that point I had been following mainly well signposted routes. It was handy for picking out smaller roads, but, in truth, not necessary for finding my way. Mind you, I was in no rush and took a casual attitude to being lost - just because I didn't know where I was didn't mean I was lost ^_^.

Did you book ahead? I've heard of issues for cyclists with walkers being given preference.

I cycled the Camino Frances (most popular route) as a part of that trip. Only once was I refused - but that was because it was full. They were very helpful and a couple of phonecalls later I had a place to stay a couple of hundred meters away. That was in May/June. My understanding is that Religious & Municipal Albergues (hostels) are the most forceful of this rule, but that it normally means you just have to wait a little while before checking in. Private hostels will happily take the money. Of course, multiple cyclists may have more issues.
There are a handful of Albergues in specific places, for example Roncevalles, where booking in advance is advised for all pilgrims. (I didn't and had no issues, but the next morning a few people had been sleeping in the porch).
Since the Norte (Op's possible route) is less travelled that means there's less infrastructure but also less demand. Also, in October some albergues will be closed.

Given the large amounts of cheap accommodation and the ability of a bike to cover reasonable distances I personally wouldn't be booking accommodation in advance. Quite simply, there is so much to experience in terms of history, culture, faith (if that's your thing), people and food that a strict schedule is counter-productive.

Useful Camino info can be found here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/

:rolleyes:

I'd love to have the time to go both ways... At least the ferry is suitable penance for my laziness.

And I think lighter on the carbon load??

Just wondering....
On the assumption that wind is an issue, would it be better to fly there & cycle back to Bilbao/Santander?

In any case, for getting the bikes back there are several services operating in Santiago that will take bikes, box them and ship them home.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I just picked up a map in Santiago. Used it to explore the west & northern coasts. Up to that point I had been following mainly well signposted routes. It was handy for picking out smaller roads, but, in truth, not necessary for finding my way. Mind you, I was in no rush and took a casual attitude to being lost - just because I didn't know where I was didn't mean I was lost ^_^.

I cycled the Camino Frances (most popular route) as a part of that trip. Only once was I refused - but that was because it was full. They were very helpful and a couple of phonecalls later I had a place to stay a couple of hundred meters away. That was in May/June. My understanding is that Religious & Municipal Albergues (hostels) are the most forceful of this rule, but that it normally means you just have to wait a little while before checking in. Private hostels will happily take the money. Of course, multiple cyclists may have more issues.
There are a handful of Albergues in specific places, for example Roncevalles, where booking in advance is advised for all pilgrims. (I didn't and had no issues, but the next morning a few people had been sleeping in the porch).
Since the Norte (Op's possible route) is less travelled that means there's less infrastructure but also less demand. Also, in October some albergues will be closed.

Given the large amounts of cheap accommodation and the ability of a bike to cover reasonable distances I personally wouldn't be booking accommodation in advance. Quite simply, there is so much to experience in terms of history, culture, faith (if that's your thing), people and food that a strict schedule is counter-productive.

Useful Camino info can be found here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/

Yes i have a similar attitude to being 'lost' on a bike - its not risky like getting lost in high wild mountain country - you're just temporarily displaced - sometimes with serendipitous consequences - and there will be a settlement at some point - you'll end up somewhere - hence i take a tent - an open mind - rarely book any accommodation - have 'faith' - in human nature rather than the supernatural variety - and give myself a relaxed schedule to allow for diversions intentional or otherwise.

Each to their own of course - but staring down at the tarmac whilst munching up maximum miles isn't my idea of a holiday.

Will probs order a selection of paper maps - just for the sheer joy of planning where I might go .

Last edited:
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Just wondering....
On the assumption that wind is an issue, would it be better to fly there & cycle back to Bilbao/Santander?

In any case, for getting the bikes back there are several services operating in Santiago that will take bikes, box them and ship them home.

One of the issues is that I don't fly, for all the enviro'mental issues.

Although i may be kidding myself if I think taking the ferry is much better.

The other option would of course be to get train to my friend first ,and then cycle back to Santander .

The reasons for cycling there, against the wind,( possibly) is something to do with that being a journeys end to reach - knowing that I've then hopefully got a few days to relax, with a known time schedule for returning by train.

If I do it the other way I've either got a few days kicking my heels in Santander - or else I'll find that I've got me an almighty cycling mission to get back by a set time - which wouldn't be very relaxing either.

Still yet to check that the little coastal train takes bikes ..

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Ooops

I think I may just have booked the ferry for this.

I've never booked anything so far in advance... Must be getting old

But the price had gone up in the week since I first looked .

Bike no problem.

Tim330

I'm hoping to cycle the Camino next April and been looking at the ferry too. Probably less chance of the bike getting damaged than if you fly.
I'd like to walk the thing but cant get 35 days off work. As it is I'm worried late April might be pretty wet and cold.

I'd like to walk the thing but cant get 35 days off work.

Tim, you're not alone in that.
What a lot of people do, is to do it in stages, once or twice a year. Fly to Spain, walk for a week, bus to airport & home. Next time, Fly down, bus to last point and walk on. Rinse & repeat.

With Ryanair etc. it is affordable and public transportation is excellent.

There are a lot of advantages to such a method, especially if tackling the Camino as a genuine Pilgrimage as opposed to a vacation.

Crankarm

Guru
Wild camping is NOT permitted in Spain. And don't even think about lighting a stove or fire in a restricted zone such as a forest as if you are caught fines are high and you can even be jailed as Spain has had quite a few forest fires that have been devastating.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Tim, you're not alone in that.
What a lot of people do, is to do it in stages, once or twice a year. Fly to Spain, walk for a week, bus to airport & home. Next time, Fly down, bus to last point and walk on. Rinse & repeat.

With Ryanair etc. it is affordable and public transportation is excellent.

There are a lot of advantages to such a method, especially if tackling the Camino as a genuine Pilgrimage as opposed to a vacation.

Quite a few disadvantages to flying though..
Esp if you count the carbon load.

Seems somewhat disrespectful to whichever 'Great Creator of our Life Support System, known as Planet Earth' you happen to be a fan of..
But actually I'm not religious.. More a spirited respecter of ecology, and good science.

I've taken one whole flight in the last 26 years. For all the environmental reasons, which I thankfully no longer have to explain the detail of nowadays.

Sadly its taken this long for a larger number of people to agree that jumping on a plane for holibobs is like flippin the bird to 'Mother Earth'

Not actually planning on doing the Camino route.. There are possibly far more interesting parts to be explored, mountainous bits and suchlike.

But still very much at the initial planning stages so we shall see.

I'll hopefully be employing my best / worst Spanglish to sweet talk some fellow farmers into letting me camp in their fields..

Can't abide communal sleeping quarters..
So it's camping, or guest houses, or new friends acquired along the way..

Last edited:
Top Bottom