Santander (or Bilbao) to A Coruna - Northern Spain touring.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
So i'm lucky enough to have a friend who has recently relocated to a country place near the town of Pontedeume - near A Coruna, I am being encouraged to visit ..

Well it would be rude not to really.

This will probably be October of this year - once time allows, and me n my new bike have got to know each other better.

It looks like this is on the camino route roughly. and 430 km ish by main road but a more interesting route will be far longer i'd imagine .

Although i know the coast there is stunning too.

I am proposing to catch the Plymouth to Santander (or Bilbao) Ferry and then cycle west - giving myself a couple of weeks so i can take in some interesting scenery. and avoid the main roads - I've driven that new coastal road, and i don't think i'd enjoy riding it.

Would be happy to take some diversions via Picos and other ranges perhaps.

Has anyone on here done similar - or could anyone point me in the direction of good route planning sites for this?

I'd probably then get the coastal train back, to point of ferry departure.

I'm aware that cycling west rather than east is asking for a perpetual headwind - but my thinking is that i will give myself a few days rest in the spare time allowed with said friend - once the journey is done - so will not then be stressing about miscalculating time for return trip.

Thank you for any help :smile:

rugby bloke

Veteran
I cycled from Bilbao to Santiago de Compostela on an organised ride in May. The landscape is stunning and very quite once you get off the main roads and the mountains are pretty challenging if you fancy some big climbs. If you follow the Camino route you will find plenty of restaurants and cafes providing a Camino menu, which is very good value. By and large the roads are quite and the drivers sensible. One thing that caught us out was the weather - it rained for the majority of the time and by accounts this was not unusual, so be prepared. We followed a route planned on RidewithGPS - happy to share the details if you are interested.

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
I done the Camino del Norte route last summer .
I stayed in pilgrim hostels along the way averaging 6 euros a night .
Plenty of bars , restaurants , garages along the way and well signed posted .
I got the ferry to Santander and an ASLA coach back .
Fantastic route and though fully loaded there was no hill or mountain to steep and sun all the way .

Attachments

• IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 54
I went from A Coruna to Bilbao as part of a longer trip.

First, check the ferries take bikes. My understanding is that not all do.
Second, there are several Camino routes, and within each one, variations. But useful for research.

New motorways means that the roads are very quiet and the traffic is very respectful for cyclists.

I just bought a map and followed along the coast as much as possible. I was heading home at that stage and was in no hurry to get back. ^_^ Still lots of climbing (and descending!) but fantastic views.

I'd imagine an October timing will influence your route significantly.

There's a few journals on CrazyGuyOnABike.

I loved Northern Spain. Fantastic food & drink. Cramped, but excellent campsites. Great roads and friendly people.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Brilliant - thanks all :smile: this is the sort of thing i'm looking for, and liking to hear.

Yes Hobbes on tour I love Northern Spain too - somewhere - as yet unspoilt by rowdy tourists.

I think the weather, in part, stops it from becoming a Sun and Sangria type destination.

Perhaps, rather like Scotland, we have to put up with the weather ( at least no midges in Galicia- yet!!) to have the place stay relatively quiet

Although i do have a dreadful reputation for taking the sunshine wherever i go (yes Including Scotland) but am always aware that might luck might run out some day.

I will be taking a tent - and hope to get a few sneaky wild camps in here and there - but am not averse to booking myself into a little hotel with a bath ( bliss) now and then neither.

Which maps did you use @HobbesOnTour ? Have found Spanish mapping a bit hit and miss in the past - but i guess that has been more for mountain walking - a road on a map should exist - one would hope --- not always the case with a path .

And thanks for sound advice re checking bike on ferry possibility - although there will be some serious fleas in ears if any suggest that they won't -
- bewar the militant integrated transport campaigner !!! :bicycle:

I experienced severe winds inthe Picos in Sept enough to hole up for 36hrs
I got to the top with bike using the first teleferico ride of the day( bikes permitted only then).
The ride over and across is a great descent.
Worth the detour.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I experienced severe winds inthe Picos in Sept enough to hole up for 36hrs
I got to the top with bike using the first teleferico ride of the day( bikes permitted only then).
The ride over and across is a great descent.
Worth the detour.

Telerifico is the cable car yes??
Went on one, up there a few years back.

Terrifying.. Especially the last almost vertical bit near the cliff edge.

Took me about a day to unclench my buttocks... Not good with height if its relying on machinery / someone else's driving.

I'd rather stubbornly slog up the hill, under my own pedal, or pedal steam.

Why do I have the feeling I'm going to live to regret these words ??

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Brittany ferries Plymouth to Santander route seem to have a facility for booking on a bike as standard.

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
This book was invaluable along the northern coast of Spain .
Available from the Fraternity of St James .

Attachments

• IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 59

MikeG

Guru
So i'm lucky enough to have a friend who has recently relocated to a country place near the town of Pontedeume - near A Coruna, I am being encouraged to visit ..

Well it would be rude not to really.

This will probably be October of this year - once time allows, and me n my new bike have got to know each other better.

It looks like this is on the camino route roughly. and 430 km ish by main road but a more interesting route will be far longer i'd imagine ......

We're doing the same thing in July, but starting cycling from Calais. There's a thread in this section somewhere. I don't think you'll be needing a bulb horn through Asturias and Galicia!! You will, though, need a good waterproof.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
This book was invaluable along the northern coast of Spain .
Available from the Fraternity of St James .

Great thanks

We're doing the same thing in July, but starting cycling from Calais. There's a thread in this section somewhere. I don't think you'll be needing a bulb horn through Asturias and Galicia!! You will, though, need a good waterproof.

That sounds fun.
Are you cycling back too or getting the ferry.?

I ll go prepared for rain and wind, yes.

But no, probs not take the hooter, I wouldn't want to offend our continental brethren, we've done enough of that sort of nonsense already.

Did you book ahead? I've heard of issues for cyclists with walkers being given preference.

Tbh I'm not so great at tolerating communal accomodation, another good reason to take a tent.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
No, we're flying home.

That's cheating!!!
:angel:

My greatest worry is The Bay of Biscay, crossing in October.

Got stuck on a cross channel ferry for an extra 14 hours in a force 11 in October one time.. Not the greatest time was had by all.

Top Bottom