Santander to Roscoff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CeeDee51

I'm planning on doing this route next May/June. If anyone has done this trip before I would be interested in your observations. Anything I MUST see or avoid and any camping site tips would be most welcome. Cheers. Colin.

MarkF

Guru
Ok, not very helpful but......IMO things are a lot more intersting further West into Asturias, the picos, the Aviles/Ovideo/Gijon triangle and some spectacular quiet scenery and roads. If you have time you can get the Feve train west from Santander that meanders inland and along the coast, I paid about a tenner for 6 hours from Santander to Gijon and then cycled back, superb!:wacko:

OP
OP
CeeDee51

CeeDee51

I read about that train in the Independent recently Mark. It does sound good and maybe another time I'll do as you suggest, but for now I'm heading for Roscoff.

Percy

Gernika, Bilbao, San Sebastian, Saint Jean De Luz (instead of Biarritz), Arcachon and Ile De Re all worth a look. The slight detour up and over Mt Jaizkibel just before you hit France is worth it too and your last chance of a decent climb before you hit Les Landes.

Camping is plentiful and in general of a good standard (the sites are anyway, unless you were talking wild camping). Of 8000 miles and 18 countries last year that stretch of Spanish coast is in my top 5 - great riding.

OP
OP
CeeDee51

CeeDee51

Thanks Percy. I intend going to Gernika, thats a place i've wanted to see for a long time. St.Jean de Luz, I agree is 100% better than Biarritz. Have you taken the cycle paths through the Landes region? And Mt.Jaizkibel sounds interesting, how much of a climb is that?

Percy

Yeah, I rode the left bank of the Gironde to Pauillac then cut across on the paths to Arcachon, then stuck to the coast mainly, down to the border (I was heading North-South, obv). The paths are nice - quiet, cutting through the pine forests largely away from the roads. If you're planning to stop at a particular town/campsite keep your eyes peeled - sometimes there are no signs telling you it's time to get off the cycle path!

Mt Jaizkibel tops out at 455 metres and you start it from pretty much sea level. It's pretty straightforward with some great views and a nice break from the main road! You can see it quite clearly on Google Maps (or similar) heading West from the town of Hondarriba, along the spine of the little peninsular thing.

If you're planning to camp in/around San Sebastian be aware that the nearest campsite to town is on the small coastal road into town (the way you'll be coming at it) near the small village of Igeldo. It's right up on the cliffs and a good 300-400 metre climb from town - not somethng you want to discover having just descended into the centre! And not the best place for a fleeting visit to San Sebastian either, especially if you want a rest from the bike (although I guess there probably are buses).

Brock

Percy said:
Mt Jaizkibel tops out at 455 metres and you start it from pretty much sea level. It's pretty straightforward with some great views and a nice break from the main road! You can see it quite clearly on Google Maps (or similar) heading West from the town of Hondarriba, along the spine of the little peninsular thing.

There's a campsite near the bottom of Jaizkibel with a half decent bar, and a walk from the waterfront of Hondarribia. Worth a stroll in the evening if you're there.

Percy said:
If you're planning to camp in/around San Sebastian be aware that the nearest campsite to town is on the small coastal road into town (the way you'll be coming at it) near the small village of Igeldo. It's right up on the cliffs and a good 300-400 metre climb from town - not somethng you want to discover having just descended into the centre! And not the best place for a fleeting visit to San Sebastian either, especially if you want a rest from the bike (although I guess there probably are buses).

Good advice, that hill nearly killed us after a hot stressy ride through San Sabastian and its outskirts! Enjoyed the top of Mt. Igeldo the next day though.

Top Bottom