Sarah Storey Speaks Out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh dear.

S-Express

I kind of agree with her. I can't see a future for racing on the road without greter traffic control or some kind of closure, rolling or otherwise. Some kind of extension of the NEG system would make sense, as would better availability of closed circuits, but it all costs.

The next thing she needs to do is to join one or more of the many campaigns that already exist in order to provide those kind of facilities.

S-Express

Anyone know how many accidents occur during open road races, I don't hear of many?

Not so much the number of accidents - it's more the potential consequences and how that is affecting risk assessment and insurance/liability cover. When RTAs do happen in road races, they are usually pretty catastrophic.

oldroadman

Veteran
Interesting comment. I wonder if the lady concerned has any idea of the costs of a road race when rolling closure is in place. Which I know from experienced organisers means traffic orders for every council area (about £1500 - £2000 a go), and as many police as are deemed necessary to enforce the order. If they are available, at about £70-£100 per hour per officer, plus fuel and possible overnight stays if their hours are long or they travel from other force areas.
All of which is there are 10 police looking after a four hour race works out to about £4000 for the race plus as much travel time - another £4000 - plus "training days" if the police think it's required plus the fuel and overnights of needed.
Work it all out and look down the barrel of £12,000 - £14,000 for policing, plus all the other bits and pieces and £20,000 comes into view pretty fact.
Then figure out how that is financed for the average 2/3/4 road race with 80 riders.
It's all well and good for riders who have not faced this sort of challenge to comment, but in the real world organisers who are doing the job to help the sport need support, not put downs from people who moved into the sport at elite level and know zilch about grass roots.
I admire the rider, bit the views are just the sort of ammo that certain "campaigners" need to get racing taken off the roads outside of very few highly financed events.

Proto

Legendary Member
I've watched a fair amount of women's road racing here in the UK (my daughter races) and whenever Sarah Storey has been riding she's either launched a very long solo effort or been dangling off the back. She seems uncomfortable riding in a tight bunch. So perhaps her personal feelings gives a slightly jaundiced view of safety.

Having said that, rider safety has been an issue, but this is not something with which closed roads would necessarily help, the problem is poor riding in the bunch. Women's racing is still in its infancy, in relative terms. Many races are still under subscribed and it's relatively easy for riders to pick up easy points, elevating them up to 2nd Cat licence with very little experience. Just rock up to Hillingdon circuit on a Wednesday night often enough and you soon climb the ladder, but it's not much preparation for 'proper' road racing. When they head out onto the open road you have a big variation in experience and ability, battle hardened vets and almost complete novices shoulder to shoulder, and occasionally things go wrong.

The last couple of years the numbers riding has increased enormously, fields have got bigger, quality has gone up. I suspect it will sort itself out and Sarah Storey is overstating the problem somewhat. I don't see the open/closed road situation being the big issue she makes out.

Last edited:

gavintc

Guru
Interesting comment. I wonder if the lady concerned has any idea of the costs of a road race when rolling closure is in place. Which I know from experienced organisers means traffic orders for every council area (about £1500 - £2000 a go), and as many police as are deemed necessary to enforce the order. If they are available, at about £70-£100 per hour per officer, plus fuel and possible overnight stays if their hours are long or they travel from other force areas.
All of which is there are 10 police looking after a four hour race works out to about £4000 for the race plus as much travel time - another £4000 - plus "training days" if the police think it's required plus the fuel and overnights of needed.
Work it all out and look down the barrel of £12,000 - £14,000 for policing, plus all the other bits and pieces and £20,000 comes into view pretty fact.
Then figure out how that is financed for the average 2/3/4 road race with 80 riders.
It's all well and good for riders who have not faced this sort of challenge to comment, but in the real world organisers who are doing the job to help the sport need support, not put downs from people who moved into the sport at elite level and know zilch about grass roots.
I admire the rider, bit the views are just the sort of ammo that certain "campaigners" need to get racing taken off the roads outside of very few highly financed events.
All very valid comment. Costs are high. She is still entitled to comment that closed roads are the norm in Europe and the exception here. Even when I entered a small event and n rural southern Italy, the roads were closed. The fact we have a system that has made the police effectively a corporate fee earning body does not diminish her opinions. Racing here is dangerous.

All very valid comment. Costs are high. She is still entitled to comment that closed roads are the norm in Europe and the exception here. Even when I entered a small event and n rural southern Italy, the roads were closed. The fact we have a system that has made the police effectively a corporate fee earning body does not diminish her opinions. Racing here is dangerous.
The perception that racing is dangerous is what supports the corporate fee earning for the Police.

S-Express

Don't be wet. Racing is inherently dangerous in any case. Add into the equation an unlimited number of vehicles travelling in the opposite direction at speed - do you think that makes it safer?

Please explain why you think it is 'rubbish'.

Top Bottom