Sarah Storey Speaks Out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
I just meant that it was no 'secret' - much discussed on the internet at the time - possibly even discussed on this forum I would have thought, although l haven't looked that far back.

I'm a big supporter of people not getting killed while road racing - and I imagine that insurers are big fans of avoiding massive payouts for unacceptable risks. While it would be ideal to keep racing on the public roads safely, I think that outside of a few 'set piece' events like the ToB, the big closed road gran fondos or various premier calendar series events, the days of amateur racing on the roads might well be numbered. On the upside, it means a lot more local/regional circuits will have to be built.
So, where will all the riders come from to compete in these big events that will be the only thing on the road? Not from racing round their local closed circuit week after week, that's for sure. Whilst your opinion is valid and respected, it's a very negative view. Cycling in GB has to make road racing work within the legal framework we have until there comes a time when the law changes. Along with plenty of others that's just how I started, and the only closed circuits were a few airfields and the like. There certainly won't be any class riders "winning" the odd few closed road Fondos that are likely to come good in a proper race, even if they can avoid the tacks some criminal idiots like to scatter about!
Otherwise the sport will die, simple as that, and go back to a niche backwater of "secret" TTs with a few big events that will mean nothing to most riders in GB.

Top Bottom