SAS armed with new rifle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Calm down, pet, not every reference to gender is sexist.
The Claud himself started that when he mentioned "middle aged men", unquote.

It seems what's good for the goose is, as usual, not good for the gander.

Claud can use gender - and in this case ageism too - to be as disparaging as they like, but woe betide anyone else who simply mentions gender innocently. Gender is their weapon, and we're not allowed to wield it.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Complaining about 'boys and their toys' must be a new low, even for here.

I just wonder what it must be like to go through life in a permanent state of high dudgeon over one thing or another.

Drago

Legendary Member
Paley, have you ever had a neighbour let themselves into your house and play a kazoo really annoyingly in the background?

I haven't, but I think I'm begining to understand what it must be like.

Going back to topic, while the new weapon is no more powerful than those of old, it does look like a clever piece of engineering. Relatively light, compact, portable, can probably go from being humped to drawing a bead relatively quickly.

Only time will tell if reliability and durability are on par with the likes of the Accutscy International AWMs.

Hicky

Guru
The easiest way to sidestep the weight issue is give the weapon in question to a south sea islander, they're all massive. They'd barely notice it.:okay:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
We used to stuff our berets under our tunics to try and reduce the recoil from the 303s. I seem to remember that they had a metal plate at the end of the butt just to make it even harder.

When I was a cadet an adult had to sit on me when I used a 303. Bloody ridiculous kick on them for a kid to use with live ammunition. On the other hand the Bren, which took the same rounds was a joy to shoot with.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I started with the .303 Lee Enfield and did the same with the beret on the shoulder so found the L1A1 a doddle. Funny thing is, I was a marksman in the cadets on the .303 and scored highest in my intake with the L1A1, but I can't hit a barn door with air rifles, .22 or shotguns.

Baldy

Über Member
I started with the .303 Lee Enfield and did the same with the beret on the shoulder so found the L1A1 a doddle. Funny thing is, I was a marksman in the cadets on the .303 and scored highest in my intake with the L1A1, but I can't hit a barn door with air rifles, .22 or shotguns.

But what were you like with the Brown Best Musket?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Like you, i was from a time where the Army didn't provide ear defenders, and to use them would have been considered effeminate. I got 3 large from the M.O.D. compo for the slight loss of hearing.
Really? I was in the bloody artillery, my tinnitus is shocking some days! We were given ear defenders, but you couldn't hear the orders if you wore them!

Drago

Legendary Member
I had the crossed rifles badge too. I don't know if the rating earns any extra pay now, but it was worth something like £2 a week extra back then.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I had the crossed rifles badge too. I don't know if the rating earns any extra pay now, but it was worth something like £2 a week extra back then.
I left the ACF abruptly as a teenager. 30 years later, I bumped into our section officer by accident. Without thinking, I came to attention even though neither of us were in uniform ^_^ We had a nice chat and when I arranged to see him again, I went prepared with a gift of a rare bottle of whisky. He also brought a gift - the crossed rifles patch I'd earned before I (cough) left.

Top Bottom