SAS armed with new rifle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
We used to stuff our berets under our tunics to try and reduce the recoil from the 303s. I seem to remember that they had a metal plate at the end of the butt just to make it even harder.
I'm quite lanky or, at least, I was when i was younger. I've fired just the odd round from the 303. But I'd be battered and bruised to F after a day on the range with an L1A1. Just couldn't ever get one to fit properly. I'm still envious that just after i left they brought the out the SA80.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, they did have a bit of a kick. Played merry hell with your hearing too after a couple of hours on the range.
Like you, i was from a time where the Army didn't provide ear defenders, and to use them would have been considered effeminate. I got 3 large from the M.O.D. compo for the slight loss of hearing.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Get yourself diagnosed... you my be able to get a Council tax reduction ....
Are we not still on Poll Tax?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Im more interested in knowing who they intend to fight, who actually fly helicopters. £9k a piece. I would rather the government spent the money on policing.

Hicky

Guru
They provide ear defenders now...they aren't used hence everyone is deaf unless you've joined recently in which you "might" get current issue...ie lots of wires and the need for a million AA's. Useless to speak with unless you shove them right into your ear, then the rubber hood breaks of inside your ear and needs fishing out! As for the rifle, I foresee the lads and lass's being ever diligent with fire as I wouldn't want to carry around over 200 rounds of .50!
😢:hyper:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Came across one of these when I was in the CCF, not sure why as it was pretty obsolete by then but almost the same calibre

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boys_anti-tank_rifle

Sometimes the gun is a mascot much like the old Bren LMGs so they get taken everywhere even if they arent used for live firing purposes. Where as some old guns are sometimes used for training, firing drills, PT drills in full gear etc etc.

The boys AT rifle weighs 35lb unloaded and stands at 5ft2. Not sure how much the bullets weigh but a 50. cal bullet can weigh as much as 50-55grams each and if you have to carry the gun and also enough ammo to last a few engagements then the weight will start to add up real quick ontop of the 30-50kg of equipment you already have to carry. Imagine having to march or patrol some 30-50miles on foot with that gun then sprint another 100-300m with it and some ammo and get it set up to attack or defend against an enemy? Its a pain in the arse for sure but thats the reason you train with it because the physical and mental conditioning that it gives you will be second to none. 99% of the time a heavy gun like this would normally be handled by a two or three man squad if on foot and they would rotate between who carries the gun and who carries the ammo.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Sometimes the gun is the mascot like the old Bren LMGs. Where as old guns are sometimes used for training, fire drills, PT drills in full gear etc etc.
I'd always wondered! My CCF armoury circa 1987 had racks upon racks of the then new Cadet GP rifle, but the stars of the armoury were two Bren guns. I often wondered what they were doing in there. They were never used as far as I know.

On ear protection I suffered through two decades of ranges, equipped with yellow foam plugs that rendered the shouted range commands unheard by all.
Then I moved into civilian aviation and discovered noise cancelling ear defenders which block out high frequency jet noise but still allow you to hear the guy speaking next to you. What an amazing bit of kit! Too expensive for the Mk1 expendable serviceman I'd imagine.

Top Bottom