Sat, 3rd June, 2017 - my annual 200 km Cheshire forum ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
More like a fitful 2.75 hours ... I am getting too old to be getting by on that amount of sleep! :wacko:

I bought the rail tickets yesterday and got the bike etc. ready last night so it is just a case of putting on the sun protection and cycling kit now and heading for the station. Oh, and not falling asleep on the platform ...! :whistle:

See you soon.

More like a fitful 2.75 hours ... I am getting too old to be getting by on that amount of sleep! :wacko:

I bought the rail tickets yesterday and got the bike etc. ready last night so it is just a case of putting on the sun protection and cycling kit now and heading for the station. Oh, and not falling asleep on the platform ...! :whistle:

See you soon.

I can empathise @ColinJ, it took me ages to get to sleep last night!

But no worries, up and at 'em, sun oil applied and porridge on the go.bike all ready and the weather is so far looking perfect. Another epic day in the saddle awaits!

see you all shortly.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
If the sketch map didn't make it clear, then maybe THIS will! :okay:

View attachment 355147

Super - see you in the morning!

Super - see you in the afternoon! We will do our best to get to the marina well before 3 pm while the cafe is still doing hot food.

My singlespeed bike does have a freehub; I'm not ready for fixed - yet! I got chatting to an old man at Todmorden station a few days ago. He told me that he used to ride fixed round here 70 years ago, but he tended to avoid the hills!
Oh that's so pretty, a lot better than all those numbers :hyper:

Wobblers

Euthermic

See you soon.

Must be the excitement of the prospect of seeing Cheshire! It's nice and sunny here. Time to go, I think. See you at the cafe, hopefully.

Yes superb day out. Great to see old friends and new. That's a hugely impressive total mileage of 140 Bethan.
Thanks for such a terrific day all and special thanks to Colin for an absolute masterclass in rejigging the route to accommodate the start/finish in Manchester.
Sleep well everyone.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
All these rides go well, but this one went superbly.

As with all the best rides, the chatter was as interesting as the riding.

I learned - and observed - a bit about riding fixed from @skudupnorth, who was on his.

Seems there's quite a bit to riding one on the road in terms of anticipation, and you have to barrel up climbs, which skud did, passing all of us several times.

Then there's @Littgull, who is treating himself to a new Thorn tourer.

He's going down to Somerset to collect it and will ride it back to Lancashire.

As @k_green said: "How cool is that?"

Speaking of Bethan, she told me she's only been cycling seriously for a year, but today she's managed 140 miles at nearly 14mph - that's also pretty cool.

@GuyBoden joined us until the lunch stop - he has a dry wit which appeals to me - and it was also a pleasure to meet @McWobble, who joined us at the lunch stop.

He rode in from Birkenhead and stayed with us until Delamere, so that will be another centurion for the day.

@doughnut helped hold the ride together with his usual strong, steady, riding, and excellent grasp of the route - a good thing because there are lots of turns.

It wouldn't be a long ride for me if I didn't get a bit grumpy at some point, and that opportunity arose as we were almost back at Dunham

Those of you who have done @nickyboy's Llandudno ride will be familiar with the narrow footbridge.

Almost inevitably the flat bars on my ebike (despite being chopped) wouldn't fit - last thing I wanted with 98 miles done, so cue lots of cussing and swearing.

I believe @doughnut may have a video, which he might show you one day if you buy him a pint.

@ColinJ helped me drag the bike over the bridge.

Fitting to mention Colin last, because he organised the ride to his usual high standard, and all I can do is add my thanks to those of others.

Only one pic from the day - I was too busy enjoying myself - a snap taken at the lunch stop while I was on bike watch (having a smoke) as the others ordered the food.

P1000452.JPG

Last edited:

k_green

Just echoing what everyone has said ...... AMAZING RIDE !
Thankyou Colin for a cracking route. Really nice to meet some new members and I hope all enjoyed the experience. Hope you got home in good time Beth, I was a bit worried about leaving you in the East Lancs after the chippy stop
I got home fine thanks, with a huge grin the final 4 miles as the chips settled and I realised I had cycled all day!

Top Bottom